Hysterectomy/fibroids

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies can anyone help please lm waiting for a hysterectomy as have fibroids but the pain and heavy bleeding is much better lm 49 and missed 2 periods and last one was light even tho painful still so my question is do l still have a opp or are the fibroids getting smaller due menopause ? l got a hospital app next week x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi alllie, I can only talk about my situation and I’m having a hysterectomy on Tuesday and can’t wait!! I don’t have fibroids but suffering from very heavy periods and none stop, and so much pain I can’t wait for it all to stop. I know I will have pain etc but I need my life back. I’m 45 and have been bleeding for months and with no reasons other than menopause??? I know I need this operation but see how you are feeling nearer your apt and talk to the doctor and take there advice. I hope you get sorted xxx
    • Posted

Hi the very best of luck with your opp.and thanks for your post take care xx
  • Posted

Hi Allie, you can guarantee that as soon as you cancelled then you would begin bleeding again, as you have got fibroids they will also most probably get larger, though I don't know much about them, I had my op because of cancer so slightly different situation.

• Posted

PS. I can fully understand why you might want to cancel, I wanted to on several occasions but I didn't have a choice as I wouldn't be here now.

• Posted

Hi bless you hun thanks for your post this is what  was l worried about just have them removed lve also got a enlarged womb but not very big but this could get bigger so l see what the doctors will say next week take care and stay well xx
  • Posted

Hi, I was able to get measurements to see if they were getting smaller. Unfortunately mine weren’t so that’s why I had the surgery.  If it’s causing that much pain, then surgery will hopefully help out. Stay strong 
    • Posted

Hi lm hoping they do that this next week at my hospital app,last time they were measured was in Dec last year so we see where we go from there x
  • Posted

Hi Allie.

My experience was similar about 8 years ago. I had begun with a history of painful periods accompanied with heavy bleeding. As I got older fibroids continued to increase. I had them removed a few times with fibroids returning and increasing. I started menopause with the same thought of fibroids shrinking in size. In short, my physician strongly recommended me having the hysterectomy after I’d decided that I wasn’t having another child. I wasn’t comfortable with having this major surgery and opted out. (8) years later, here I am (2) weeks following my hysterectomy. The last (8) years had created a multitude of other issues, from uterus and fibroids creating pressure on bladder with infections. Lower back pain also developed. I so understand your ambivalence. 

It’s not an easy decision or surgery. Please reach out with your decision. Stay in touch.smile 

• Posted

Hi thanyou for your post  most helpful,this has answered my question that l thought could happen,l have lower back pain and bladder pressure so l see what happens at my app.on Tue.Take care and hope your recovery is good xxx
    • Posted

Ohh Allie.

I’m so happy that I could help!

It’s just another viewpoint to consider while you’re having a discussion with your doctor. 

I’ll keep you posted as I hope that you’ll remain in touch.

Take carebiggrin))

• Posted

Hi will keep you updated but l think the big op is the way forward xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.