Hysterectomy, fibroids and abdominal hernia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Due to have surgery for TAH end of June due to several large fibroids. Had hernia repair last June & noticed another umbilical hernia appear this week. Should I wait until surgery to notify my consultant of recurring hernia,  will this affect me having my hysterectomy later this month? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If you're in the UK see your GP who would write or speak to your consultant.
    • Posted

Thank you Matron. I'm based in London, I will arrange to see my GP. I've waited a year for this surgery and am so keen to go through with it (terrible periods, anaemia, supersize tummy due to huge fibroids) so don't want to find myself in a position where it's jeopardised. Thanks again
    • Posted

If you're lucky they may repair the hernia at the same time which is why I thought it best to get a GP to diagnose the hernia, so it's done officially and he will know who to contact.
    • Posted

Thank you Matron, I'm fearful of the hysterectomy being cancelled because of the hernia, and am aware that the fibroids were a contributing part of my previous hernia so don't want to be forever treating the symptoms and not the cause. 
  • Posted

Yes if it was me I'd ring up to find out wether it's advisable to still have it x
    • Posted

Thank thank you Caroline, as per my reply to Matron I fear the hysterectomy will be in jeopardy. I had a hernia repair last June then a year waiting for hysterectomy, now another hernia. Scared the cycle may never end and want to treat the cause & not forever be treating hernias
    • Posted

Good luck let us know what they say I had my hysterectomy last Nov best thing I had done no more irregular bleeding x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.