Hysterectomy for endometriosis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with endometriosis stage 4 and  during the laparoscopy they removed all of the scar tissue amd implants  my tubes and a large endometrioma cyst on my left ovary .  Within weeks of surgery I felt incredible .  All of the pain and extreme bloating I felt daily was suddenly gone .  Last in for exactly 10 months .  Then one day out of nowhere my stomach swelled up  Looking like I was 7 months  pregnant instantly and it’s going on 10 weeks straight with no relief .  My gyno and gp thought that it was not the end out back but  something in my G.I. .  So I had multiple CT scans bloodwork evaluations and a colonoscopy came back clear .  Gynecologist did ultrasounds and everything  and said all look good . Im going back in to figure out a solution for my large Endo Belly and chronic pain. I do t do well with medication and hormones. I was thinking if I removed my uterus and leave just one ovary and removal of new endometriosis that it would stop my periods that will stop the bleeding and I’ll have my natural  her moans from the one ovary left . Endometriosis has wrecked my health both physically and mentally not to mention all the medical bills. I just want to do the best thing to eliminate my symptoms!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Please forgive me!!  The auto correct on my phone  really messed up!
  • Posted

How old are you, April? Have the docs said they'd do this surgery for you?

The sad thing is that it might or might not give you relief. I had a total hysterectomy at 27, went on premarin, had some intermittent pain in the first year, i think. Then i was very fortunate until i was 54. Another huge abdominal incision b/c docs thought i had diverticulitis. Nope: endo can strike back. Zero diverticulitis. I am lucky that they only had to take 6-8" of colon.

When that happened i was taking less than 1 mg of premarin total per week. Premarin is a conjugated hormone, not as dangerous as the combined hormones. Unless there's been some new research, no one can say for sure that that tiny bit of hormone had anything to do with the return of endo. (I had been tapering down my HRT for several years.)

Other women here have hysterectomies without as good an outcome as mine. I had 27 good years, and now i've had another good 10 years.

Have they mentioned to you that if you keep one ovary, they'll most likely be coming back in a few years to get that one? If you're having an abdominal cut rather than vaginal surgery, this surgery is a big deal. The older you are, the bigger the deal. Please think about that before you commit to trying to save 1 ovary. Which they might not be able to do anyway: my "good" ovary turned into a nightmare renegade in the 5 weeks between my lap & my hyst so they couldn't save it.

I have zero regrets about my surgical choices but that's not true for everyone. You cannot know how much i hate that there isn't a sure fire solution i can share with you.

• Posted

Thank  you so much for the information ! I’m 39. Done having kids and ready to get rid of my Endo!!
  • Posted

Thank you so much for your help! I am 39 and done having children so surgery to stop my periods and take out any new Endo seem like the only option out of my symptoms. I felt like a new person after my laparoscopy. I never new the misery I was in until it was actually gone. I can’t bare the thought of waiting another 10 years to get to natural menopause for the Endo to possibly continue or having a laparoscopy every few years. I don’t want to take hormones or other treatments instead of surgery because of the side effects and I doubt it will stop my severe bloating ,pain,migraines and fatigue.  All the info on coping with endometriosis makes me feel hopeless because I don’t want to cope I want it gone!
  • Posted

Wowww I totally understand understand, have you tried changing your diet to help with the bloating 
    • Posted

Yes I have !!  I was treated for bacteria overgrowth to see if that would help and no change at all .  I’ve been on a clean diet for the past 10 weeks .  I lost 10 pounds I weigh 130 pounds and I look at least seven months pregnant at all times out of nowhere the past 10 weeks.  I had a colonoscopy came back negative multiple CT testing and ultrasounds lab work for everything under the sun that were negative .  I was also tested for celiac and every digestion Disorder known to man. Dr. put me on a really good probiotic and zero change.  My periods have been coming every 3 weeks or less  The past five months straight   And all my original endometriosis symptoms are back with full force. 
  • Posted

Yes!!! I eat a clean healthy diet and lots of water and Gastro dr put me on an amazing probiotic.  I’ve lost 10 pounds in 10 weeks . I way 130 lbs and look at least 7 months pregnant for the past 10 weeks. I have had  multiple CTs,  ultrasound and blood work  for everything in the world including cancers.  I had a colonoscopy that was normal and I was treated for bacterial overgrowth to see if it helped  and zero change whatsoever ! I went to my gyno first and she said that she didn’t  thank my Endo would be back  10 months after surgery so she made me go through all this other testing .  She said if everything comes back negative thank she can talk to me about the Endo  and my options of treatment .  She said my options would be hormone treatment in last resort hysterectomy and laparoscopic  to remove the scar tissue and endometriosis again . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.