hysterectomy help !!!!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello Im 24 years old

and im due to have appointment at the hospital in a few weeks to make my decision on

Ethier ablation,partial hysterectomy or total hysterectomy

I have had 2 years worth of hell

Theve told me that the hormone that kicks in my monthly cycle is constantly running through my body in other words im constantly on my period which is fantastic.......

We have tried every hormone tablet imaginable

Ive had

every test

Every scan

Over and over and over and everything is normal

other than my womb has moved to the right

And my bleeding has landed me in hospital many times due to serve blood loss . at the momment im on a concoction of well everything to help stop it but nothing is working every 2 weeks my body overides everything and starts bleeding again

Now ive posted about this before but I would like information as much as possible about the partial hysterectomy

I know I am very young and I have no children but even thee doctors have said that these are my last and only options and they were honestly a little bit upset that theve had to give me these options at such a young age.

And I cannot go the rest of my life in fear about bleeding. when im out I have to take clean underwear in my bag constantly as well as pads tampons. I work in a clothing warehouse having to explain why there is underwear in your bag for random searchs as you can imagine puts me in quite a predicament every time.

please can someone help ?

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sarah.

I really feel for you! I had the same problem that went on for years to the point that having to take spare clothes with me to work wasn't an option any more as I spent more time in the loo than I did actually working..not good when you have just started a new job and kept being sent home!!!

The only difference is, I have grown up children, and my gynachologist was fantastic and told me that I had 4 options.

Ablation.... She told me that this does not always work.

Vaginal hysterectomy, where she would leave my ovaries so I naturally would go through menopause.

Marina coil, had one before all my problems and had nothing but trouble with it, or

A total hysterectomy.

I went with the vaginal one. She told me it was far less intrusive and recovery time was quicker.

Six months on I am fighting fit, no more periods, no more pads or hot water bottles, no more ferrous sulphate tablets.

I am so glad I had this one. Best thing I ever did.

Everyone is different Sarah and I think what you need to ask yourself is, how important is a family to you?

Please don't jump in with a hysterectomy if there is chance that the ablation may work. It's so final, and what concerns me is that you may have this done but always be wondering if the ablation would have worked, worse still, become an emotional wreck because you really want children later on in life.

It's a hard one, but I do appreciate that you can't go on the way you are. It's soul destroying and will make you ill.

Good luck my lovely, we are all here on this forum to share our experiences and support each other. I know it helped me last year.

Sending love Jo

• Posted

Hi jo yes the reason I was thinking Partial hysterectomy was because ablation leaves you unable to have children too difference is hysterectomy stops it ablation is less successful and I can't go for one more thing for it to fail all over again I dont think my brain can take it xxx
    • Posted

Hi Sarah

From experience then, my vaginal hysterectomy was the one I went for as advised by the gynachologist.

I know everyone is different with recovery time and I am 48 but quite active and I was completely back to full health just a couple of months after the op. I still took things steady but so glad and happy I went for this one. No scarring no problems but most of all no more periods or sanitary wear!!!

It does sound as though you are quite decisive about the children, and it's true, you are only young once and you don't want to live old before you have to and this is exactly what it's doing to you.

I can't speak about a total hysterectomy but my vaginal one was straight forward. They did leave my ovaries though.

Good luck on your decision Sarah. Let us know what you decide.

Jo

• Posted

Hello again Jo yes that's exactly how I feel ,I feel that in two years ( I was 22 when its started) Ive gone from 22-50 its ridiculous!

When it first started in June 2014 I was at work just boom it flooded (I was in pale jeans sad ) but I thought right I Will go home get changed and it will be fine as I got back to work I turned to my boyfriend and said babe something is not right its not stopping at all . He said what like at all I said no its just flowing ! By the end of my shift I was completely white nauseated and dizzy to the point of verge of passing out (clearly blood loss) and my boyfriend rushed me into hospital. He wanted to take me earlier but I said ill see how it goes. Clearly it didn't go well ... this was how it all started I was terrified !

Now its like ouh im bleeding like a idiot better go get the doctor inject me again like its a normal thing its like no this isn't normal and at 24 I need to be doing more with my life than being on best friend terms with my doctor I want to have a life and get to enjoy it im a really active bubbly person (always like the mum figure in my group of friends)always have been and this has ruined me over the last year as ive just lost hope with it.

But I've made my decision I'm going to go for the partial hysterectomy smile I think its time for me to be able to be me again and I think enough is enough and dam it I want to have nice underwear again !!!! Ahaha

So can you please explain the vaginal hysterectomy to me don't worry about to much information the more information you can give me the better as far as Im concerned

Still cant get over how much you have all helped me this has been the best thing I could of done

Thank you to all that have replied

you have all been amazing you've made me feel so happy and

Befriended at a point where id never felt so lonely smile

Xxxxx

• Posted

Morning Sarah

Well done on making a decision. I bet it feels like a weight off your shoulders!!

I still have all my paperwork from my op last August. I'll dig it out and be in touch later.

I think you knew the way forward and I'm happy for you. I think maybe you just needed some reassurance. Nobody lives your life except you, and you have to make the most of it.

Have a good day, speak to you later.

Jo X x

• Posted

Morning Sarah. Am do glad you have made your decesion. Bet it feels like a weight has been lifted. I know it did with me. Think I'd still be in limbo if it wasn't for all the help i received with this group. Everyone is amazing. I can't help you much but hopefully Jo will. All I know is that if you have a vaginally hysterectomy they have to take you will have to have yr cervix removed aswell. Not a bad thingn though as you will never have the worry of cervical cancer and .............no more smears!!!!!!! Good luck with everything and don't forget to let us all know how you get on.Tc

Angie xx

• Posted

Hi Sarah

As promised I have some info for you. I'm sure that when you go to see your gynachologist she will give you the same information pack and talk you through it step by step.

The operation itself takes about 45 minutes but before you know it you'll be in the recovery suite. Just go to sleep, wake up, it's all done.

I was really scared and imagined that I would be really sore down below as they make a cut around your cervix at the top of your vagina to remove your womb and cervix.

I hope you recover as quickly as I did, I'm double your age so you will be fine. They dose you up with pain killers so I didnt feel a thing.

They put a catheta in which you don't really know is there until it becomes full and then you feel a little pressure but it's not painful.

The day after, they removed a kind of bandage thing that they plug you up with (sounds gruesome doesn't it? )

And when she took it out it seemed to go on forever. To my surprise, there was not a spot of blood on it!!

This I have to say was the most weird sensation, again not painful, just uncomfortable. Since that day, no bleeding. Such a good feeling.

They left my ovaries as she said I would go through natural menopause.

But no more pads, no more smear tests, no more bleeding and no more worrying.

I joined this forum the day after my op and I can remember mareka on here saying just how frightened she was....she had a date to in that was fast approaching . She had the same as me I think, she came through it and I've seen her giving help support and Advice to others.

I'm not sure what sort of job you do Sarah but don't be pushed or bullied in to going back before you feel fighting fit as you'll be tired for a couple of weeks after.

Make the most of people looking after you too. It sounds as though you have a loving supporting bloke.

If I've missed anything or you want to ask, please do. I just hope you don't have to wait too long my lovely.

Take care. Big hugs

Jo

• Posted

Thank you very much

I joined just beacuse I stumbled across it whilst looking for information im so glad I did this has helped me so much and my boyfriend has also told me to thank you from him his exact words

"Tell her thank you from me its not been nice seeiing you struggle to make end of anything on your own obviously I love you and ill tallk with you about anything but as I bloke I can only do so much so theve been able to do more than I could so tell them thank you from me "

And yes I have a amazing boyfriend hes Been great with everything and yes my appointment is on the 16th of feb so will message when I have been smile

If I knew where you lived I would actually send you flowers aha

Thank you you wonderfull woman

Xxx

• Posted

Hi

Awww that was soo sweet. He does sound like a lovely boyfriend!! You are very lucky. And it's amazing how complete strangers can help overcome a huge problem in someone's life and actually want to help. Hope all goes well in the 16th

Angie x

• Posted

Oh Sarah, that's sooo lovely. Thank you. If my experience has helped you then that's all the thanks I need. It costs nothing to listen.... I will be thinking of you on the 6th.

What's it for? A consultation?

You have a great bloke there, and it's so nice that he's with you 100%

Take care my lovely, and stay in touch x

Jo X x😉

• Posted

Ha ha sorry, misread the date.... 16th.

Jo x

• Posted

Hes a great boyfriend and very true I think sometimes its Easier too talk to a stranger than it is to family and friends.

smile

thank you I will do

Xx

• Posted

Yeah this is the consultation that's me telling them what I've decided and them telling me how they will do it .

So hopefully after this I should get a op date at some point

Friends family my boyfriend supportive but dont really understand (all of my friends are guys ahhahah)

My mum has been great but im her baby she's concerned about it being a operation but she's my mum she's going to be like that . I just said to her that im not going to regret this and I cant spend anymore of my life with this crap I know your worried your my mum that your job ahha but every thing will be okay and yourll be there when I wake up .

And seriously you really have helped me more than you can imagine its like you've been my hyster-mum smile I hope you know how great you are and who ever your family are very lucky to have such a wonderful woman in their life's will update on the 16th

Take care

With love Sarah smile

Xxxx

• Posted

Hi Sarah

That's a really huge compliment, thank you. 😄 I feel quite honoured but am so glad I could help.

Of course you mum is worried... It's her job. She may also be worried about you emotionally too. But I'm sure once she sees the change in you, getting back enjoying your life and not dreading every day, she will realise that it was best for you.

We are all here to help, and support you so don't be afraid to ask any questions. I'm positive like myself, the lovely ladies on here will reassure you. I know they helped me sooo much and I'm sure some time soon, you will be giving the same to others who need it.

Remember to stay in touch honey

Sending hugs. Jo x

• Posted

Oh sweetheart, I just wanted to add my support to you, such a young age to make such a huge decision but even worse to be going through the hell of bleeding all of the time. I am glad to read that you have come to a decision that is right for you, as that is the most important thing....that it is right for YOU, only you know how you feel with regards to just how much it is affecting your daily life and on the kids issue so only YOU can make a choice. I hope that now you are happy with a solution, that you won't be waiting too long before you get sorted and can live and enjoy the life you deserve at 24 years old. Good luck xxx
    • Posted

Thank you for yor support smile

Yes im happy with my decision welll not happy id prefer for everything to not happen in the first place but definitely best of a bad situation

Its the clearest my head has been in months it is like a weight has been lifted

Thank you xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.