Hysterectomy help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I don't know where to start really but here goes!!. I recently found out I had a large (24×27cm yes you read right) ovarian cyst removed. I had to have my right ovary and both fallopian tubes removed as well via a laparotomy....i was 6 weeks into my recovery and went for what I thought was my 6 week check up to be told that within the cyst they found a borderline ovarian tumour which was encased, it doesn't end there!!! My surgeon then went on to tell me that while I was open he saw a what he thought at the time was another cyst on my left ovary, he explained that he wasn't expecting this outcome and that he believes it could be another borderline ovarian tumour. I have to now go for a total hysterectomy, I'm absolutely devastated and terrified as I'm still mot recovered from my previous op and the pain is still quite raw on my mind. Also I and devastated about the biopsy results and am very confused as to what it means as some say it's cancer and some say it's not whereas some say it's a very slow growing cancer, it's day 2 since I was told so as you can imagine I'm sick with worry and open to any help xx ps I'm 35 yrs old with a complete family xx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

So sorry that you're going through this!  Unfortunately, the only way that they will know about the possible cyst on the other ovary is to take it out. My thought is that the surgeon wants to remove your uterus as well, so he can biopsy the uterine tissue as well as the tissue of your ovarian cyst. Cancer, whether slow-growing or not, is still cancer, and you want to remove the ability of it to spread.   

I know how frightening this is.  But, I believe that your doctor is trying to be cautious and careful with your health.  If indeed you have pre-cancer or cancer, the best thing to do is to remove it--and get good margins around it.  

The questions you have should be directed to your surgeon.  And, to your ob/gyn.  Best of luck to you Karley.  You'll be in my thoughts and prayers, and let me know how you get on. xx  

• Posted

I think you should ask for a second opinion, but you need to have all the reports in your hand. Although hysterectomy is not the best thing to go through, the (possible) alternative (if ovarian cancer) is worse. Please view it from a positive perspective because most ovarian cancers go undiagnosed until too late. If this is indeed cancer and is caught on time, this experience might have saved your life. Good luck
  • Posted

Hello karley4 

I'm in much the same position as you. Ended up in hospital for 14 days last month and had an my left ovary removed, told two

Weeks ago that in actual fact was stage 1 ovarian cancer.   Have been told numerous times how lucky i am to have found it so early  and as precaution it's best to have full hysterectomy- this is scheduled for the 1 st week in Jan .... I'm truly devastated & uncontrollably emotional at the whole situation. I'm

37 and have twins age 10 

I've had no pain / no problems with periods / no endometriosis 

I had trouble goin to the loo for a week - doc sent me for scan and I'm

Now here ..reading desperately scary forums on what to expect when I come out from surgery. 

I'm Petrified beyond belief, always been very optimistic person I feel like my world has now been turned on its head. 

How are U feeling now has your op been scheduled yet ?? 

Thanks for reading xxx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.