Hysterectomy in a couple of weeks - still taking HRT?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone here has taken their HRT right up to hysterectomy operation? I did have a 'minor' operation 2 years ago - and was told just to keep taking them - seems the same applies this time - although I will not be so mobile for a few days after. I do know they have the anti-thrombosis self pumping socks - as well as the usual surgical socks - although some hospital trusts say to stop taking these a few weeks before? I am being put onto a different HRT post -op and also wondered how long I will wait to be put on this HRT.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi Glennie

I was on HRT before my op but in the preceding few months I was not taking it anymore (my decision as I had been on it for quite a while).  However, I was told to stop taking all medication for a while before my op so I think you should check with your consultant.  Don't be tempted to take your current HRT after your op as you do have to take a completely different one when your womb has been removed (I think it has to be oestrogen only).

Best wishes

Shani

• Posted

Hi Shani,

Been on HRT for many years now - and I do know it will change post -op - just wondering how long post-op to they give me the new HRT, I am still waiting for op paperwork - which is a bug-bear right now. I like to know what I am doing - and I can imagine it will not be as informative as I would like. Think I might have to e-mail my consultant directly like I did 2 years ago with another surgery - as his admin is never in - and when she is - is very unhelpful! 

• Posted

Hi Glennie,

I think it would be best to check with your consultant about this.  Those are the kind of decisions that need to be made by  your doctor.  Best of luck to you when you have the operation!  

Please let me know how you get on!

• Posted

I will if I can get hold of him! His admin is never blinking in!!!!! I am still waiting for paperwork for an operation in 2 weeks time. Had my pre-op and although you are supposed to ask all your questions there - they can't give me an answer! Nightmare!

• Posted

It sounds like a nightmare to me, too!  I hope that you can get in touch with him....is that all they will do, put you through to his admin? Seems as if he won't be getting any messages.  You ould ask if someone else could take a message for him, but I bet you've already tried that...

• Posted

Your only contact is the 'personal secretary' number - but I think I can get an email from the web for the consultant himself. Did this previously - different surgeon - different admin - but the admin had the same attitude! I might get answers when the operation paperwork appears - but no 2 hospitals has the same information! Some even do pre-hysterectomy exercise classes - but not in my part of th UK!!! I'm sure I'm just being a panic pants!

• Posted

I don't think you're being a panic pants.  I think you just want inforrmation.  I hope you get some answers soon! xx

• Posted

Trying going staight to the top with a complaint - i.e. the CEO of your health trust.  My partner did this when my op was cancelled at the last minute and as a result of this I got my op done in a private wing but still on the NHS!!  Worth a try.

Shani xxx

• Posted

Thanks Shani - I think I will e-mail directly if the paperwork isn't clear. I hope mine doesn't get cancelled - although it has happened to me - but fortunately was only by 2 days! If I get no joy I will just contact PALS. Have to say though - it's not so much the medical staff themselves - just the office staff - and as I am an admin bod myself - makes me angry - as if I treated the people I deal with on a daily basis in the same manner, I'd have been sacked by now! Here's hoping things are clearer tomorrow.

• Posted

I know how frustrating it can be.  You already have the stress of the thought of the op and then you get more stress not getting the info you need. I got myself psyched up for the op which I was really scared about and they cancelled late on the afternoon of the day before I was due to go in.  I was not in a fit state to complain but my partner got on to the CEO and said it was completely unacceptable not to give more notice of a cancellation and putting patients under unecessary distress.  He got a reply straight away and I got the private booking about a week later.  These days it almost seems a complete waste of time to go through normal channels to complain as you seldom get anywhere!

Best of luck - let us know how you get on

Shani

x

• Posted

Good for you and your patner, Sani!  I hope you're doing much better now!

• Posted

Hi Lynda

Yes, thank you.  I had an amazing surgeon (the same chap who I would have had under the NHS anyway) and the op was a walk in the park.  I hope you and all the other ladies on this site who are waiting for their ops recover just as easily a I did.  I fear going to the dentist more than I would fear having the op again!

Best wishes

Shani xxx

• Posted

Thanks, Shani!  Glad to learn that you're recovering nicely!

• Posted

Update today is -still no letter. E-mailed PALS as they only do Monday to Friday. I can't contact my consultant by e-mail, as they no longer put their e-mails on the 'meet you consultant list' - only the telephone number for their secretary - and I am so through speaking to her! Did a lot of my own research today - reading NICE guidelines as well as some notes that anaesthetists would use - mostly recommending stopping use of HRT or combined pill 7-10 days prior to surgery, although some will give small doses of heparin if pills are taken up to day of surgery. I have asked for guidance - and as long as they reply by Wednesday - I should be OK. I did mention that even if a letter is posted 2nd class on a Wednesday - you should have it by Saturday! I don't live that far from the hospital. Perhaps they strapped it to a carrier pigeon!

• Posted

Good luck to you with your surgery.  I hope you get the answers you need before you have to check in!

Please let me know how you get on! xx

• Posted

Thanks Lynda - will let you know how I get on. Will be glad when this is all done!
    • Posted

Please do let me know...having been through it myself.  I needed to have mine done badly, and I was so glad when I was through with the op!  

What date is your surgery scheduled?

• Posted

Surgery is on 21st April , a week on Friday. Trying to get as much done as possible beforehand!
    • Posted

Yes, you'll really want to be able to rest as much as you need to afterwards! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.