Hysterectomy Monday

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello ladies

I have finally got my date, it's Monday 7.30am! (As long as it's not cancelled) I have a few questions.

I am having open surgery due to large size of a fibroid.

Do you think I will stay in over night?

I have these fibre drinks but can't remember when I should take them I have 6 in total. I thought I was supposed to have 4 the night before then the last 2 in the morning but leaflet says nothing to eat after midnight.

If I come home do you think I will be better staying in bed for a couple of days?

Thanks and any advice will be great

Xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi jacqui

You will definitely be in overnight. 7.30 be there time means a mid morning early arvy op time. I’m not sure about the fibre drinks. You will be bed ridden for a few days. Listen to your body and go from there. Too much too soon will set you back. All the best for a quick recovery. 

• Posted

Call your doctor about the drinks and for instructions when you need to take them.  The most likely purpose is to clean out your large intestine before surgery.  Also, you will be given pain medication, which could stop your colon from working properly for a few days.  The last thing you will need or want is a lot of fiber in there.  Make sure to rest and follow your doctor's instructions regarding post operative care, especially at home.  Best of luck to you. xx

• Posted

Hi,

I had a fully hysterectomy due to a very large fibroid, 4.5kg in weight. You should be spending at least 3-4 days in hospital, but make sure you walk about, a little at at a time. I felt absolutely amazing the day after my op. It's major surgery you are having so listen to your body and don't over do it. I over did it and my wound burst open the day after I had my stitches out.

Hope all goes well 😁

• Posted

Hello again

Is there anything while recovering you couldn't live without or really wish you had got?

J

• Posted

Hi, no I was well prepared before I had my op. I was told that I could lift a kettle so went out and bought one of those hot water boilers, in that way I could drink as much tea/coffee as I wanted to. My other half would make sure it was full before going out to work! That's all I was worried about lol. Someone advised me to get a v shaped pillow but I couldn't use it. I couldn't live without my kindle too, all that free time I did read several books.

My only mistake was over doing things as I felt so well in myself x

• Posted

Hi had my hysterectomy last Monday. Did not go to plan. Fibroid was the size of a football and was attached to everything. Have been cut from above the belly button down . Spent 4 hours in theatre lost 3.3 litres of blood. Spent the next 5 days in critical care. Have been very well looked after by the NHS all the staff in my local hospital Hinchingbrooke amazing. Home now and staples out tomorrow. Feeling stronger everyday but still feel crap.

Is there any post op care/drinks you recommend?

Thank you

• Posted

Absolutely you will be in for at least one night. I would take a couple of movicol to clear you output a bit a few days before and nothing tg e day before op as instructed. If you do they will not operate. Having said that I had tvh and did not need to clear out but it does help afterwArds as you will be bunged up until you stop painkillers and move around a bit more.

Rest Rest and more rest for 6 weeks and nothing less or you will risk a prolapse of vagina,not fun.good luckx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.