Hysterectomy or ovary removal for help with pcos ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 29 year old woman with no kids. I have been dealing with very bad symptoms from pcos for a long time now. I have very heavy bleeding and clots, cramps, depression, and used to have periods very spaced a part, but now I seem to have a never ending one that has been going on for about 2 months now... I have talk to my doctor and just got told that is normal for my condition. I am looking for any relief from the constant problems of pcos. I am considering removal of my ovaries and hysterectomy. I would love to have kids of my own someday but this condition may never allow that. I am okay with adoption. I just want to be happy and healthy and I am wondering if a hysterectomy and ovary removal might make that possible.

Here are my questions. for anyone who has had or knows someone that has had a hysterectomy or their ovaries removed what if any relief from pcos symptoms did they have?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I heard getting a hysterectomy or ovaries removed doesn't stop the symptoms of pcos. I'm on mirena and hormone pills it stopped my bleeding finally I spot every now and again I think it's more of a street thing when I'm mad or stressed I spot smh. Try getting on a birth control see what happens. Also your to young they will not give you a hysterectomy unless it life threatening at least that's what my doctor says smh. But they have ways of getting you fertile so don't just feel like you want a hysterectomy trust I feel you I bleed for 1 year straight on and off for a couple of days before I figured out my problem was pcos maybe longer than a year. But wish you the best and remember one day at a time. #pcossisters

• Posted

Having cysts growing on your ovaries is usually a result of a hormone imbalance. The cysts are a symptom of the illness. PCOS is usually a result of insulin resistance. Has your doctor discussed metformin with you? It can help balance your hormones and as a result make your symptoms a bit better. It is also supposed to make it easier to get pregnant and make it less likely to miscarry. A hysterectomy will force you into an early menopause, which carries a whole host of health problems you don't want to deal with at your age. No decent doctor would even entertain giving you a hysterectomy or remove your ovaries.

It is still possible for you to have kids, plenty of women with PCOS go on to be mothers.

• Posted

Also ask your doctor for mefenamic acid, they help with painful heavy periods.

• Posted

it will help but alsonruin your sex life and womanhood. i wonder what stage your in, do you have the bumps or cyst on your face arm pits inner thighs? facial hairs? those are all signs of pcos. did you take birth control in the past or currently?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.