Hysterectomy pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. I had an abdominal hysterectomy (ovaries removed too) 12 days ago. Since then I have what feels like a very painful pulling feeling to the bottom left of the wound. Not too bad when I am relaxing but when I get up, even just to walk to the loo, it can get so painful I have to just sit/lie asap. My doctor last week thought it was just stitches pulling but it is getting no better when everything else is. I also had my stitches out yesterday (one of the bugger got embedded so that was a very painful experience) but I now have a large lump above the wound on the right hand side, which is the complete opposite to the embedded stitch. Has anyone ever experienced this? I just hope it is normal as my friend had a similar operation and had nothing like this 😔 Sorry to go on ladies, I just want to get back to normal.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hayley it could be scar tissue that needs massaging gently but please check before you do this. I had a raised lump under one of my keyhole scars it was painful and I massaged it (instruction from gynae) and it went away x
    • Posted

Thankyou. I am at the doctors at the end of next week so if it hasn't calmed by then I will mention it.

• Posted

Best to check with your doctor. I hope you start to feel better soon!
    • Posted

Thankyou Lynda. I am going to give it over the weekend then see. My doctor said I should be more mobile by week 3 so I am presuming I should be walking a lot better without all the pain.
    • Posted

Just remember that you've had major surgery (as if you need reminding).  Everyone heals at a different rate--so make sure that you're careful with your precious self and give yourself the time that you need to heal.  

Best of luck! xx

• Posted

Lynda, this is the part I struggle with. I am no good at doing nothing . My house is a disgrace (husband and daughter doing a good job but not to my standards) and I feel ok in myself so because I don't feel ill I think I should be doing a lot more than I am. I have started to wash up, but that is about it. I have woken today, after a very bad night, in a lot of pain and unsettled stomach. Going to give it till Friday morning and see how I am. I cannot cope all weekend in this pain xx

• Posted

To be honest, you have no choice.  You either give yourself sufficient time to heal and then gradually get more active or you spend the rest of your life in pain/body dysfunction.  You're injured, my dear, just as if you'd been in a vehicle accident, or fallen.  Don't wait till the weekend!  Pain is evidence that something needs to be attended to.  It's your body crying out for assistance.  

Please let me know how you get on xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.