Hysterectomy Post Op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi , I am new in the forum.

I have my 6 week post op coming up this week.

so i am assuming more tests will be run.

How long does the fatigue go till ?

I have a physical job. I am moving furniture and redo floors .

I still have a lot of naps and I have insomnia, and all the menopause symptoms full blown.

I don't feel 100 %.

Has anyone been off work for a period of time due to the chronic fatigue ? Its like brain fatigue as well. muscles soar etc.

They say 6 weeks for recovery, and I am thinking WHAT? I am anxious thinking about my day to day tasks.

so far i have been put on HRT patch and my family Doctor wants me on antidepressants .

Any thoughts from someone whom has gone through this?

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beverly

Bless ya. It was planned that I was to have keyhole but because my womb was so large i had to have a full abdominal everything whipped out including my cervix.

It took a full 12 weeks before i started feeling more myself and im still struggling with insomnia and its been four and a half months since my op. I generally get to sleep between 2am and 3am and have to be up for work at 5am. Its a nightmare. I try not to nap during the day but sometimes i have to go for a little sleep during my lunch break.Brain fog, aches and pains, forgetful and clumsy; I think its just hormones levelling themselves out.

Im on HRT and anti-depressants to sort out my hormone levels.

You've got to remember your body has been put through a massive ordeal and it takes a long while to recover. Eventually you'll come through the other end.

I am concerned that you've got a manual job and you certainly shouldn't be lifting anything for at least another 6-8 weeks. The 6 week recovery period must be just a generic figure plucked from somewhere it certainly takes a lot longer than that and every woman is different. Don't push your recovery time, if you feel you need longer speak to your doctor and get an extension on your sick note.

Take Care Lovely

• Posted

hi

I had my vaginal hysterectomy in 2018 and was told under no circumstances should I return to a very physical job till at least 3 months.

heavy lifting us a no no longg term as the lack of vaginal support can cause prolapse.

I would definitely speak to your consultant about this so you are armed with the info going forward.

good luckx

• Posted

Hi Beverly, I'm 16 weeks post OP and feeling really well, just returned to work ( hospital ward so lots of heavy work like yourself) I had everyhing removed and the only thing not under control is the dreaded hot flushes. I think your very early days and your expecting to much to soon, I also think its to soon to return to a heavy job and you could risk doing more damage. I started on the lowest dose of patches but due to the shortage my GP put me on the Gel, which is ok in the day ( odd flush but the wards are warm) but as soon as i put my foot in bed they start, I'm going back to GP and if suggested i would try anti depressants, but ill refuse testosterone supplemts due to poss side effects such as acne, excessive hair growth ( hate shaving my legs at the best of times) I have bought a gel pillow and will put in the fridge, and also some cooling most which i keep by my bed( accidently sprayed the hubby see what he thinks at 2.30 am) You need to listen to your body and rest and dont try to run before you can walk. I did find the day i returned to work i did 7am till 2pm and by 4pm i was on the sofa exhausted so i set my alarm and had an hour nap. hope you feel better soon and take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.