Hysterectomy post op - belly firmness and swelling

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello. I am only one week post op (radical abdominal hysterectomy) and have read comments from a few years back regarding various abdominal pains and swollen/hard feelings, particularly after eating. I understand this feeling can last 4-6 weeks or longer. Have women felt the use of the abdominal support belt helped with the swelling or not? Any other suggestions?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I didn't have an abdominal hysterectomy mine was vaginal but also got the swollen tummy , this can last up to a year or more, made me look pregnant, it came on especially if I lifted something a bit heavier than I should have or did the hoovering.

Phoebe

• Posted

Thanks Phoebe, man, that sucks. We are always striving for flat tummies! Did you doctor suggest anything to take to reduce swelling? Mine hasn't said anything yet. I guess I need to re-assess in another 4-5 weeks as it's early days. But it is very uncomfortable.

• Posted

Hi,

There really is nothing you can do about it I'm afraid, it is part of the healing process , I did try a support belt of sorts, I have a support cami, but really it only made it feel worse, Im afraid we just have to put up with it, my hysterectomy was 5 years ago now but I still remember that part of it very well, it was all very loose clothing until things settled down. Having said all of this, if you are in anyway worried then please do talk to your doctor.

Phoebe

• Edited

Hello i'm post op 18 months and still have what looks like a pregnant stomach! I have been concerned for a long while. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with everything removed. Ive gone up a dress size since my op 😦 Recently went to my docs they found nothing wrong after checking me out. I'm still feeling numb and sensitive in the scar area. I guess we just have to try to be patient. We've had a major op, my doc says its probably still stomach muscles repairing. I can still get a bit tired by the end of the day when i've over done it. I'm really trying hard to walk more and keep step count up. You need to listen to your body its still very early days for you and you get lots of very strange feelings in your stomach for a good few months after op. This is normal but you cant help feeling you're the only one - please rest assured your not. In my experience you should start feeling a bit better internally after 5-6 months but still not 100%! Take care all the best Lynda x

• Posted

hi just been reading your post and I was beginning to think it was only me with these symptoms I also had a full abdominal hysterectomy in may this year and am still suffering with swelling and numbness around my stomach .cant wear any clothes with zips and buttons as it is to uncomfortable so everything has to be elasticated waists or loose fitting leggings also I find if I walk to much my feet and ankles swell terribly but in general I do feel much better glad to hear that this is normal as i was getting a bit worried with my OP being 6 months ago xx

• Posted

Ps i didnt use any support garments as felt too sensitive. Just bought larger softer underwear

• Posted

yiu are no where near a full recovery. it takes up to 6 months fir all swelling to subside.

yiu are asking to much from yiur body. its traumatised and needs rest.

• Posted

I am now 3 weeks post op and am happy to report that my stomach swelling has gone down considerably. However, one week ago today I became incontinent and was given antibiotics for an apparent UTI, but in addition to urine I was leaking a darker coloured fluid which my doctor has said could be drainage from the surgery. The fluid is very heavy. I am on my second pack of 14 nighttime pads and also using another super absorbent daytime pad which can hold 1 cup of fluid! Has anyone experienced this after an abdominal hysterectomy?

• Posted

no hun I had none of that I'm afraid. I had mine vaginal with anterior repairs .

everyone is u unique in there recovery.not one is the same.

once cleared by yiur surgeon, pelvic floor exer are a must for life to help you strength your pelvic area and prevent incontinence.

• Posted

hi

your body has gone through do much trauma and needs rest and time yo recover.

thus surgery is major surgery and its inevitable that you will be swollen for many many weeks even months.

I'm afraid hun yiu must just go with it. there isnt anything you can take as its internal healing.

time is the answer.

• Posted

Hi, I'm entering my 11th week post op. i had an abdominal hysterectomy with ovary/fallopian tube removal, omentum removal and partial bowel resection. My belly is still painful (not anything like the beginning, but crampy /strained-feeling). Though I lost weight after surgery, my belly has stayed puffy. At my last appointment with the surgeon where she signed off on me a month ago, she told me the swelling will go down eventually. Honestly, at this point i don't know what belly I own and what I'm renting right now. I haven't been able to wear any pants with snaps, buttons or zippers. Post-surgery hysterectomy panties help a lot by covering the high scar and keeping that belly supported. I guess we all recover differently so I wouldn't worry too much, and ask your doctor if you feel something is unusual.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.