hysterectomy questions!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone,

Im new to the group!

I have a 15cm fibroid and have been booked in for a hysterectomy.  Due to the size of it I cannot have it done key hole so will be major surgery.  I have my pre op booked for the 25th April.  I am very nervous as unlike most of you on here i have had no bleeding (i have had the coil for the last 10 years) I feel very well in myself apart from my tummy looking like I am 4-5 months pregnant!  I am concerned about the recovery as I am a useless patient.  I turn 48 this year and have not started the menopause and understand that it will happen almost immediately!  I am quite worried about the after effects mentally as well as physically.  For my entire adult life I have had trouble with PMT and have tried everything.  Is there any vitamins/tablets I can start taking that may help?  

I also have a few holidays booked this year (never had this all booked this far before!) and wondered what the flying recovery time would be?

Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi jacqui i have just had full abdomen hysterctomy last tuesday. Mine was due to severe endeometreosis and im 46. All i can advise you at the moment is not to underestimate this opp. It has knocked me for six if im honest. The worst part is moving around i can sit comfortably tho. The hot flushes and cold sweats started kicking in on thursday are becoming more intense but i srart my hrt on thursday. Hope all goes well with you hun xxxx
  • Posted

Ur doc could advise u best about the flying hun. Me and the hubby fly out to mexico from 29th dev till 24th jan n noone is gonna tell me im not going lol xx
  • Posted

Congratulations. You will soon be free from the horrible effects of being a woman! I had a subtotal hysterectomy 14 days ago and I feel fine. I was so worried about the pain and how I would feel and it has been  breeze, nowhere near as scary as I imagined! In fact it’s lovely to put my feet up for a change. I am a hard working single mum and I’m making the most of doing nothing. It’s absolutely wonderful. I’m tired and feel spaced out if I stand up for too long but that’s it. I feel great. Don’t worry, it’s the start of a new life. Spring is here and you’ll feel great in your clothes fitting well again. Focus on the future beyond the op. It’s a very exciting time :-) good luck! 
  • Posted

Welcome, I had partial so I still haven’t gone into menopause, I’m sure you will get plenty of support. Stay strong 
  • Posted

Good morning Jacqui.

I’ll assume that you’re having a full hysterectomy. I believe you’re correct that is considered major surgery if they’re not doing the procedure vaginally. 

I’m 55 years old and entering my 3rd. post op week. I underwent a partial hysterectomy, where the uterus was removed leaving everything else. I had begun menopause at 48. I have experienced a few menopausal symptoms that I hadn’t experienced, yet I have my ovaries. Leave it to me, to be the oddball!!! I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow morning due to a these symptoms and pain. As for the traveling, this is solely based on your doctor’s advice. I was told “no ‘flying’  for at least 4 weeks.” The (4) weeks is due to your 2nd. post operative appointment with your doctor. With regards to vitamins; during my pre surgical appointments for (2) weeks prior to procedure, I was told during each visit to stop taking vitamins. I neglected to inquire to the reason for no vitamins or supplementssad.

I wish that I had, I would have a an answer to share with you. 

Please take care. The best for you while you undergo and recover from your procedure:wink)))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.