Hysterectomy/rectocoele 5 weeks ago, now have swelling. Is this normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

i was wondering if anyone has had the same symptoms I’m getting now. It’s been 5wks 3 days since hysterectomy/rectocoele repair and yesterday I started with swelling and burning feeling on the left hand side of my vagina and it feels like it’s swollen inside to. Really sore and struggling to get comfortable when I sit and really throbs when I walk. Still got a yellowish discharge which I’ve had since having the op ( seen doc about this and had a swab taken and no infection showing ) still getting occasional stabbing pains up my bottom which i had a lot at the beginning but they did calm down. Also keep getting slight pains in my tummy. I’m not constipated as I take movicol every day. I must admit I have started to try and do a bit more walking and bits of stuff around the house as I feel I need to start pushing myself as I’m due back at work in 3 weeks ( I will of been off work 8 weeks by then ) . Is this swelling and burning feeling normal? I had my urine tested last week and that came back ok. Have I just over done it? I’m seeing my consultant in a week for 6 wk check up and must admit I’m dreading the thought of an internal as I’m just so sore. Is it normal to be this sore after so long?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bobsey, youve overdone it. Its quite normal to feel how you do at this stage, it’s still very early days. The hysterectomy is far easier to get over than the rectocele repair.

You mustn’t do too much,especially lifting much - that’s forever now. Bending and squatting are also restricted or you risk it failing. The first few months are really important to let the deeper stitches heal and do their job, and the tissues will get stronger as time goes by.

listen to your body, and if you are more swollen and in pain, slow down and take it easy. Eight weeks is early to go back full time to work depending on what your job is try and get a phased return if you can.

• Posted

Hi Laura

It sounds like I may of over done it, it’s so frustrating! I was hoping to go back to work full time after 8 weeks but maybe I should think about phased return. Tbh at this moment in time there is no way I could go back to work. I still can’t drive either. Can I ask if you had the same op as me and when you started to feel normal again and able to go back to work? I think it’s back to watching box sets again for me 😁

• Posted

Yes I had same op, plus removal of ovary and cyst. i work from home so doesnt really aply as I had help, but couldnt have gone out to work for a long time.

Its over two years now and due to nerve damage during the op, am still in pain, will never be normal.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice. I’m so sorry you have nerve damage. Can I ask is that like a constant stinging pain? 

I really need to learn to be more patient! 

• Posted

No, it’s far far worse than stinging, it’s like someone has poured  acid inside me and it never stops burning, pudendal nerve damaged during op.Nothing much I can do  to stop it.
  • Posted

It sounds like you have overdone things hun.

It's very normal to get swelling up to 12 weeks. Your not out of the woods yet,this is a very hard recovery. If rest as much as you can in between walks etc.

No lifting at all.x

• Posted

Hi Welshgirl

Thanks for your reply. I didn’t realise I would get swelling for so long. I have been putting light items of washing on the line, maybe I won’t do that anymore but it didn’t hurt me at the time so presumed it would be ok.

Can I ask when you were able to go back to work and when you started to feel normal again? 

• Posted

I had tvh and front wall dome in January.. It all depends on the job.. If your standing then it's not a good idea to return to work till abreast 12 wks,sitting down may be able around 8 wks depending on the person . With these ops there isn't a definite answer which is crap but if there were 10 women with same op each o e will have different outcomes and recovery issues.

I've been over cautious and I feel it's been the best thing I could do.. I've done all I can to heal completely now I pray all will be strong.x

• Posted

I’m a receptionist so up and down a lot of the time. I just know as soon as I go back I will throw myself back into it so want to be as well as possible before I go back. 

I think your right , i maybe need to be more over cautious because as soon as I start to feel a little better I start pushing myself to do more. I can’t believe how difficult it is to do nothing😬

I hope it all works out for you. X

• Posted

Thanks bobsey.. My consultant wants me to return to normal life now but without heavy lifting and straining on loo which I don't do because of movicol.. All we can do is look after ourselves and hope for the best. These repairs only tend to last around 10 years. Look afterx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.