Hysterectomy six weeks ago (laparoscopy Vaginal) and tummy keeps swelling up then down is this normal

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello I had a hysterectomy six weeks ago laparoscopically (vaginal) they took ovaries fallopian tubes and I am recovering. Just as I feel a little better able to do things my stomach right up to under my boobs swells and my vagina consistently aches. it feels like its falling out of me at times. sometimes I find myself waking up thinking oh it's getting better then within couple of hours stomach swells and vagina begins to ache more than ever. I've read so much but not on this and it would be so reassuring to hear someone say I had this and it's ok or I had this and you need to do this. Can anyone please reply to me. Bless You Julie

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie, i had an abdominal hysterectomy last August and can identify with the swollen tummy issue. I was told that so much internal healing was going on that a swollen tum was generally an indication that I'd been too active and should rest more. Hopefully others on here will hve had a similar procedure to yours and be able to offer you more advice. I found this forum really useful before and after my surgery. Wishing you a speedy recovery! Deb

• Posted

hello

you still sooo early on in your recovery. I had vaginal hysterectomy last January 2018 and I had swollen stomach for months after and in very slim.

I didn't have my ovar removed just uterus and cervix but even so a lot of pulling,pushing and cutting has gone on.

I'd wait at least 3 months plus before yiu see a difference. dont worry it's all normal healing.x

• Posted

Hi Julie, my 'swelly belly' lasted for about a year after my lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy, I looked pregnant and at 61 I got some mighty funny looks I can tell you. 🤣 don't forget you have really been poked and prodded internally and going through the vagina you will be bruised down there, it will clear up but if you are concerned at all then phone the hospital or talk to your GP they will put your mind to rest.

Phoebe

• Posted

Hi Julie, I have just seen your post and wondering how you are getting on. I had a total hysterectomy and cervix removed 5 weeks ago. My stomach is flat in the morning but after a couple of hours it is swollen and hard. I am so uncomfortable as I feel as if I have a hard shelf from under my bust to my pelvis. Is this to be expected? I thought I would be back at work next week

• Posted

Ditto to what everyone else has said. Take it easy. I also found turmeric and arnica tablets helped so much with the swelling, especially the tumeric. I bought it raw and made my own capsules because it was cheaper BUT, you can just buy them.

• Posted

hi juliebell

im 5 weeks post op abdominal hysterectomy and have the same as you / so wondering how you are now ?

lindsey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.