Hysterectomy soon!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, after 6 years of abnormal paps (cin 3, +hpv 16, 3 leeps and 1 cone) I finally have my hysterectomy scheduled for December 12th. It will be a robotic hysterectomy, which I am told I will go home same day. I was hoping for any advice; what to take to the hospital, what to have at home close to me, how long I will need my husband to take off of work, ECT. I know it is probably weird that I am excited. Dealing with this since I was 19, I am just so ready to move on with my life!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Steffini:6 years in a long time. I would be excited too about a hysterectomy. I was able to keep cervix, one LEEP provided several normal paps. So my hysterectomy done robotic , removed above the supra pubic bone, less invasive. I took nothing to hospital, total time 7 hours from admission to discharge. Husband able to come home at lunch to assist for one week. "No lifting" is difficult. Who knew a gallon of milk could weight so much or reaching to put meals in a microwave. I recommend your hubby or someone bring you meals into the home and REST 2 weeks at least, short frequent walks only. They can be your cheering section and watch dog. Allow the house to get messy.  I of course did not, lasted 5 days and was going crazy, over did it, started vaginal spotting. I thought my husband not as good as cleaner as I. On my 3rd week of "nothing" but walks, difficult but does make for a quicker 6 weeks to arrive. Driving short distances. Prolong sitting difficult initially. Get a good book , take up knitting, adult coloring, net flicks....LOL hope this helps. cindy

• Posted

SteffiniC, how was your operation? All went well I hope. How is the recovery going?  I am waiting for a date for mine. 
  • Posted

Hi Steffini,

I had a complete hysterectomy on November 27th, just 8 days ago.  It was done robotically.  With the DaVinci robot.  I was extremely nervous because although I did not have any cancer, I have a lot of reproductive cancers in my family so I opted to have my ovaries removed too.  I had a prolapse surgery at the same time as my hysterectomy.  I knew there would be a chance of having to be cut open if it could not be done robotically.  My surgery was a success and lasted an hour and a half.  I woke up with four small incisions on my abdomen and they have healed very well.  My husband has taken off work for a week and believe me I needed his help.  I couldn't get in and out of bed at first by myself.  He has been great.  The surgery for my prolapse has been what has been the worst of the pain, and since you are not having that, it won't be bad.  You will have to be very careful with moving and lifting.  I tried to climb some stairs in my house only a week after the surgery and I was sorry and hurting a little bit.  Hoping all goes well for you.  Praying.  -Lyn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.