Hysterectomy tomorrow. Any advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m 37, Mum of my miracle 3 year old princess. I’ve always had problems down there, from having trouble conceiving, to enormous fibroids, constant pain and prolapse and bladder problems

I had tvt repair February 2017 with cystocele repair which went well but then not long ago my womb prolapsed caused by the growing fibroids again so I’ve decided to go ahead with the hysterectomy despite still having the desire to have one more child. However after having another miscarriage last year I already knew this wasn’t going to happen. I’m just feeling nervous, excited and sad all at the same time. I’m due to have vagina with the ovaries left but have no idea what that means. Will I go into menopause? What happens to the ovaries? I’ve just drank my bowel prep, any advice what to eat today? Stopped drinking alcohol Sunday and no smoking since last night 9pm. Have I done ok? I only started smoking in the summer after 4 years if quitting and I’m on anti depressants too because it’s been such a journey 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You’ve had such a difficult time - my heart goes out to you! However, based on what you say the hysterectomy may clear up quite a few issues and you’ll probably wind up feeling better than you have for ages. And it has the other advantage that you can enjoy your special girl at every stage without worrying about having another child. I know how desperate and frustrating and mind occupying trying to get pregnant is, so to have the option taken away is harsh but at the same time will free up your emotional energy so you can give your best to your girl. The ovaries being left means that you won’t go into premature menopause. Stopping smoking and drinking is good, just eat normally. The great thing is that you will be taken care of by professionals who do this hundreds of times even though for us it’s only once. Be careful not to lift anything heavier than a litre of water as you recover. Rest, no housework, pushing or lifting. Do your pelvic floor exercises to avoid another prolapse.  The very best of luck and do tell us how it all pans out for you. This is a great site and we’ve all been where you are today! 🤗 xx

• Posted

Everything will be fine, I had mine done 4 months ago and it was the best thing ever ! No more periods pain every month. 

First couple of weeks of your op will be tough but soon will be back to normal. Just go with a positive attitude and trust your consultant. You are not having your ovaries out so that’s even better. I think you have to eat things like pasta ...

Good luck and again don’t stress too much as you are in good hands xxxxx

Dee

• Posted

You should be fine if they leave your ovaries. At least for a few years and they will function like they’re supposed to and you should not feel that a puzzle you should be fine if they leave your ovaries. At least for a few years they will function like they’re supposed to and you should not feel menopausal. Best wishes 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.