Hysterectomy tummy

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a adominal hysterectomy six weeks ago. In the morning I feel my tummy has gone down a bit but as the day goes on it appears to swell up more. Interested to know how long those who had an adominal had to wait until this tummy goes down.

Are there any exercises you felt helped you get the tummy in some sort of shape.

Any advise on this issue gratefully received.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Deborah

I am 5 weeks post TAH and having same issue. Tummy quiet flat in

morning by the evening it has grown. Have looked on other forums for

advise and it seems that it gets better with time. Hope it doesn't take to

long as would like to get back into my jeans and stop living in track suit bottoms.

It seems like we get very little information on what to expect in the

months following the op and are just left to get on with it.

Sorry couldn't be of more help, hope someone else has the answer.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hello

I am at 8 weeks and I just google last week exercises we can do. I actually do the ball and chair. Breathing techniques and stretches. I also bought the post panty that really helped flatten tummy since I had a sweet sixteen this past Saturday. I was a little uncomfortable and would stand up to relax my back. I will locate the site I found the exercises and what to eat to help flatten tummy.

• Posted

Google How to Flatten Stomach Muscles After a Hysterectomy

Also check out on you tube Michelle Kenway she has great excercises to share and help us all.

Good luck...

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the link with a suggested Google search term rather than a specific website.

• Posted

Hi Deborah

I had the same op back in Nov last year. So about 6 half months ago my tummy still swells by the day gos on they say it takes up to a year for it to fully go.its called swelly belly. It's because everything is heeling and get gets bigger to protect every thing that's healing. I was back in normal clothes by 12 weeks just loose ones. Jeans was by 4 months or more. Any more advice to ask. Xx

• Posted

Hi Deborah

I am 7 weeks today, TAH and BSO.

Tummy (especially around and along the incision line) is vey sore and very tender by the end of the day.

Be sure to bend your knees when bending down and dont just bend over.

I think in a way its also your tummy's way of saying it has had or done enough for today.

I play badminton, and like to run and cycle but at the moment I am not doing anything.  I think from next week (week 8) I will give something a go, but for now I would just continue with the light exercises and walking.

Don't overdo it or stretch too much, as you are still healing inside.

• Posted

Hi Deborah

I ill be 9 weeks post op tomorrow and even now my tummy is quiet flat in the mornings but by late afternoon it has swollen, this is normal and im sure it will eventually get better as we continue to heal. Good luck with your continued recovery.

Best wishes

Nikki

• Posted

Hi, I was 8 weeks post op on 8.6.15. I get the swelly belly but still wear my jeans, it does get a little uncomfortable towards end of day but i'm doing it as i go back to work Mon 15.6.15 and i have to wear a uniform which is supplied by the council i work for and cannot wear my own clothes so need to be able to wear my trousers all day as they wont supply me with anymore (public sector cuts and all that).  I find i get the swelling whether i have done a lot a little or nothing so not really taking a lot of notice of it. Reading what some othr ladies have been through and are still going through i think i have got off quite lightly with all this.

I had Subtotal Hysterectomy, kept ovaries and bit of cervix, only got rid of the bit that was causing the problems.

• Posted

Crikey, you'd think they would make an exception for a major op, re the trousers! A couple of pairs of trousers isn't going to break the bank!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.