Hysteroscopy.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ladies, a post about having a hysteroscopy, because I thought it may be useful to some of you.

Several weeks ago, after brown spotting, I was referred by my GP for a pelvic ultrasound because I am 54 and 2 years post menopausal.  I had a transvaginal ultrasound which was fine and almost relaxing!  It showed a thickened endometrium, which was 6mm...the guidline is that 3 is 'normal',

post menopause.

I then saw a gynacologist who took a couple of endometrial biopsies, a pretty uncomfortable experience but it only took a couple of minutes, and nothing to be dreaded.  There was a tiny amount of bleeding afterwards and I felt a bit crampy that evening, but really nothing.

(The biopsies were actually insufficient to be tested but I only found that out when I went for a scheduled hysteroscopy yesterday.)

I had the hysteroscopy yesterday and had been dreading it after googling 'is a hysteroscopy painful?'.  I read that it is a 'barbaric' procedure, that it shouldn't be done without general anaethesia (they ask that you take ibuprofen and paracetamol beforehand) and that some ladies are in pain and in bed for days afterwards.  I went to the hospital with utter dread and was actually hoping - after being late - that they'd send me home! 

After a quick paperwork check you remove bottom half clothes, get onto a strangely shaped bed, legs up on rests (how elegant, not!) and a very tiny flexible camera is inserted.  You can see your cervix on a screen, and then follow the journey of the camera.

I won't lie, it is very painful, but they tell you how to breathe (just like havng a baby) and you can stop at any time.  I didn't because I figured it would just take longer.  The very worst pain was in my lower back but it was over very quickly.  Afterwards they give you a pad because there will be a little bleeding, particularly as biopsies may be done, (take your own unless you want a giant hospital pad!) and then you get dressed. They made me a cuppa, then I had a chat with the doctor who'd done the procedure.

In my case all looked well, and the biopsies and the fluid they use will be sent for testing.  Results will be sent out by letter in 3 - 4 weeks.  It turned out that the actual thickness was 6mm in some places, over 7 in others, and over 27 at the top of the uterus.  Thank goodness I hadn't known that at the time because I would have utterly panicked.  The consultant thinks there's a fibroid at the top but it doesn't require treatment as it will probably get smaller anyway.  She may also recommend a vaginal cream to be used for a while but that will be in the results letter.

I was fine afterwards and went shopping and was fine later on in the evening, no discomfort, nothing.  There was a little bleeding yesterday but that's stopped now, so all good.  As long as the biopsy tests are clear, and there's no reason to think they won't, I won't need to be seen at the hospital again.  

I just wrote this to reassure anyone who may be worrying about having a hysteroscopy done - please don't.  It's not the most pleasant procedure, but it's quick and it's fine afterwards, and the hospital staff will help you through it.  Would I worry if I needed it done again?  No, I wouldn't, and good luck if you are having it done, but you won't need it!  smile 

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you for this. I will remember this if I ever have to have it done. Fear of the unknown is no joke! And of course my mind always goes to worse case scenario! I wish there was a way to turn it off😤

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.