Hysteroscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies

I am having a hysteroscopy next week and just wondered if any of you could tell me what to expect?

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I personally have never felt any discomfort from this procedure, no more than having a cervical smear test. But my sister suffered cramping and aches during and for a while after. The hospital provided a sanitary pad in case of mild bleeding after but I didn't have any bleeding. 

Try to be relaxed (easier said but will help) and maybe take a painkiller an hour before. I like to suck on a rescue remedy pastille or chewing gum, seems to help me stay calm.

You will be fine and it is soon over.

• Posted

I had 2 done both were done under general anaesthetic regarding fibroids and post menopausal bleeding.   I recovered quickly, within a couple of days, there was some bleeding for a couple of weeks with a fibroid removed.  I had a fibroid removed on the second hysteroscopy.  The first one was more of an investigation and the second for the myomectomy as the fibroid was small enough for it to be done via hysteroscopy.  I didn't have pain after the procedure.

• Posted

I am possibly going to have a fibroid removed during this procedure so I will also be under general anaesthetic. The consultant said if it looks like it can be easily taken out then they will. But they'll leave it if it looks like it could be a problem?? I really want it out. I've booked two days off work for it and hoping that will be enough?

• Posted

Have you had it done yet?  How did it go. Hope they got the fibroid and you're making a good recovery smile

• Posted

Hi Anne, I haven't had it yet. Was meant to be last week but it got cancelled due to the red weather warning. I found it today it so be rescheduled to Monday 12th March. Not long to wait thankfully x

• Posted

Hi Coll, hope you haven't been too stressed out by that.  I'm sure it will all go well.  I was very anxious about both my hysteroscopies before I had them, both with a GA.  I cancelled the last one 2 times because I was so anxious about having a GA. I needn't have been.  I probably could have gone back to work sooner but the hospital advised at least 7 days off.  Let me know how you get on. All best wishes.  Anne.xx

• Posted

I was given a sick note for one week after mine by the hospital.  You'll probably be alright after a couple of days though.  All best wishes. Anne

• Posted

I've had a hysteroscopy to explore what was going on and then a hysteroscopy incision/procedure. They were quite different procedures.

The hysteroscopy was a bit wierd when they use water to dilate the cervix and then a bit painful once they moved the camera around inside but I held on to one nurse's hand and breathed and it was over within minutes. It was like a longer version of a smear test and period-like cramping. I lay down for 10-20 minutes at the hospital before getting up. I felt quite crampy afterwards and took the rest of the day off work - that was quite important as all i wanted to do was go home and get into bed with a hot water bottle. If you can have someone to come with you then it would be nice and I took a taxi home (rather than driving or negotiating public transport).

The other one was a procedure to remove a polyp and involved several local injections in the cervix which is a bit painful and then the doctor inserts the camera to find the polyp and in theory remove it. In my case - the doctor struggled to find the right angle and after  about 15 minutes it was becoming really uncomfortable for me so the doctor stopped. And now I've rescheduled to have this done under general anaesthetic.

In both cases they advise that you take paracetamol an hour before the procedure - so don't forget that as I did for the first time!

In sum, they're quite manageable procedures and, in my case, didnt have an impact beyond the day of the procedures. But I do recommend taking the rest of the day off.

Good luck! 

• Posted

I had a myomectomy by myosure yesterday during my hysteroscopy. Early days yet obviously but feeling OK at the moment. I had a submucosal fibroid which was partially in the womb cavity. I had a general anaesthetic and so felt nothing at all. When I woke up I was bleeding but not too badly. The consultant said she was able to remove all of the fibroid that was in the cavity and the rest is in the wall so could not safely be touched. I am hoping this won't cause me any issues now as apparently its the submucosal parts of fibroids that lend to the most bleeding. I've had mild cramping but had worse period pains to be honest so not worried about it.

Just a wait until my periods return now to see how things are going to be! Fingers crossed. Thanks for all who took the time to respond. C x

• Posted

All done, good news.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and resolution of your symptoms.  I have numerous small fibroids of all variety apparently.  They removed the largest which had a large blood supply and it has lessened my back pain, don't know if that is a co-incidence but I do feel much improved than before.

Stay well xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.