Hysteroscopy - has anyone had one?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had some abnormal spotting after being in menopause for nearly six years.  I attended an appointment today for a consultant to obtain an endometrial biopsy.  Another tool (for the want of a better word) was used which was the size of a straw.  Unfortunately, the consultant could not pass the instrument through my cervix.  My cervix is too small, so now I am being referred for a hysteroscopy, where I shall have a local anaesthetic on my cervix so that the consultant can pass the hysteroscope through to the uterus.

I have had to sign a consent form for this procedure to be carried out and am just a tad freaked out at all the possible complications.  Furthermore, I stupidly looked on the internet at images for this procedure.  I am now feeling that I may not be able to go through with this procedure.

Has anyone else had this procedure and what can I expect?  Any reassurance will be very much appreciated.

Marie

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there, I had this done about 2 years ago after abnormal bleeding for 15 years, (yeah I ignored it and hoped it would go away) this is where they insert a camera to see the uterus, there is nothing to it, I didn't have a local anaesthetic but you obviously need one as your cervix is too small, but honestly there is nothing to it, it was over in about 10-15 minutes.

Phoebe

• Posted

Hi Phoebe

Any penetration is painful and after explaining this to the consultant today, he used the smallest speculum he had.  Pleased to say it was not as uncomfortable as a smear test, they really hurt.

I have not had children and have read that this can make the procedure painful, but I should not feel anything if it is all numbed up. 

Many thanks for your support, very much appreciated.

Marie

• Posted

Hi Marie, first of all you have gone to the dr's which is the first step. I had a hysteroscopy last year , for the same reason as you ,I hav'nt had any children so this was the reason I had to be put out.

The precedure is the same as they have already tried to do but you wont feel anything.I had never been in hospital before and was terrified , it was over and done with within 20 mins and as soon as I came round I was back on the ward. The nurses were great. I had oxygen for 10 mins because my blood preasure dropped a bit and after another 30 mins I went and cleaned myself up got dressed had a cup of tea and was ready to go home.

The only thing I will say is dont be frightened by the blood that you loose when you have had it done, by the time I had cleaned myself up it had stopped. Some people have spotting for a few days after but I never did.

• Posted

Hi Susan

I don't think I told the consultant that I had not had children, although I think the nurse asked me beforehand.  My doctor told me when she referred me that I would find it uncomfortable.

I have read on another site that there are various size hysteroscopes, apparently, there is one only 3mm thick.  Think I might enquire about that and see what they can do for me.

I am a needle phobe as well and the thought of having a needle inserted into my cervix fills me with dread too.  My sister has just had a LLETZ (think that is right) to remove abnormal precancerous cells from her cervix.  She had to have the local anaesthetic on her cervix.  She has told me what to expect so I am ready for a couple of scratches and then some stinging (nearly put pricks lol).

Thanks for warning me about the bleeding, I shall take a pad rather than a liner with me.

Marie

• Posted

Yes I had two of them before I had a hysterectomy as I had abnormal bleeding my cervix was narrow like yours it only takes 10 mins or less I had a general when I had one it was over in no time
    • Posted

Hi Caroline

Quite a few people have had a general.  I am not sure if that is an option at this stage.

I was asked if I had any questions when referred for hysteroscopy.  I couldn't think of anything at the time, I was a bit shell shocked as I was being told what to expect while signing the consent form and being handed leaflets about the procedure.

The staff were all very nice and I felt comfortable with the consultant, although I was told that I might see someone else, as the staff alternate between hospitals.  I am hoping that I see the same consultant.

Thanks for your support.  It is good to hear about the successful ones.

Marie

• Posted

Well all the best luckily I had a very nice consultant let us know how you get on its only a minor procedure and I was scared but it was nothing to worry about
    • Posted

Well I had a very nice consultant and felt a wally as it's only a minor procedure and I was scared but it was quick and painless let us know how you get on good luck
    • Posted

Thank you. 

Just heard from the hospital, my appointment is Thursday 31 March.  I shall let you know how I get on.

Marie

• Posted

Hi Marie, thank you for posting.  I was diagnosed today with endometrial hyperplasia.  i am 53 yrs old.  I hadnt had a period since sept 2014 and before that it was yr and half.  so i thought i was done after sept 2014.  prior to the "period" i had ovulated a week prior and then the period ...i was shocked to say the least ....the period (not heavy at all ) lasted about six days then stopped and then yesterday i had pressure in bladder ....pee'd alot and then some blood when i wiped.  i am phobic when it comes to pap smear and being examined and i told the doc this...my daughter was with me so that helped but i couldnt go thru with it. i told her to stop three times and finally yelled at her.  she did get to do the vaginal ultrasound which is where she found my thickened uterus and a polyp ...she says i need a D&C and the biopsy to rule out C.....so i'm scared to death now.  i have all the risk factors, obesity, age and uterine bleeding after menopause.  so i'm freaked.  my hubby is helpful, i'm trying to be positive ....i told her I need to be knocked out for the procedure and she said yes they will..they're going to have to do mor than a local though...i think i need to be put under todally and sedated prior to going in for the procedure.  i hope that yours goes well and will pray for you.  >>>
    • Posted

Hi Kathleen

I too am 53 years old and my last period was June 2010.  I was so glad to get rid of the periods and was disappointed more than worried at first about the spotting.

Did you have a local anaesthetic when you had the failed attempt at biopsy?  I have been told that I shall have the area numbed and I am to take Ibuprofen with paracetamol just before I leave the house.  I hope that because the cervix will be numbed that I am not going to feel anything.  The guidance leaflet states that the consultant will stop the procedure if it is too painful, so like you I shall be asking them to stop if I get too distressed.

The thing that is playing on my mind is the indignity of it all.  You would think that I should have got used to it with all the smear tests, but I find as I get older I just don't want to be taking my clothes off etc.

Many thanks for your support.

Marie

• Posted

well she didnt even get that far..she tried first to do the pap smear but i could not even get past the speculum being put in...hurt too bad and i'm phobic so the biopsy was oout of the question, that's when she asked if i could do the vag ultrasound which i had no prob with and thats where she found the thick lining.  she immediately said i need a  D&C, hysteroscopy in the hospital..she wwasnt happy w/ me that she couldnt get the biopsy in her office but knew there was no way.  i asked her if i owuld be knocked out and at first she said yes then she said a mild sedative but i need to be knocked out.....i dont want to see or hear anything...i have been put under once before for a lipoma found on my arm ...i am ok with that.  so i'm going to push for that.  i have to go to my primary doctor first to get premed work up done ..thats on april 8 and then schedule the D&C...i am trying to push up the primary doc visit but not sure i can.  i'm scared but i know it has to be done. thank you for shaing with me. 
    • Posted

and i totally get what you say about the dignity of it all.  at first i found it odd that she did not require me to remove all of my clothes just below my waist...she also did the breast exam with my bra and shirt on which i've never had a doctor do that before....and i had a sheet to cover my stomach area.  my daughter was with me so i was somewhat at east.  if i'm knocked out during the procedure i dont care what they see lol...i know that's weird.  i'm trying to be okay with all of this and sometimes i am but other times my stomach is in knots
    • Posted

Don't worry they seen loads before you it's quite painless and over in ten mind or less I've had two and had a hysterectomy I was very nervous but I realise now I was a silly Billy but it didn't feel like it at the time you will be fine trust me
    • Posted

Caroline, did you have a D&C and hysteroscopy at the same time ? or just the hysteroscopy ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.