I...

Posted , 4 users are following.

in January I went on vacation approx 10 Days to Vail CO w/son, DIL and gkids.  I was familiar w/altitude probs but the pain in my right chest seriously brought me to my knees, it hurt so bad to breathe.  On way back pain in right chest area so severe !  Saw Dr and he thought it may have been trauma to ribs from snow mobiling.

Had a preop 4 surgery in Jan and X-rays showed possible tumor.  Off for cat scan.  Reports show extensive emphysema.

Since coming back from Vail I was hit hard; flu, upper respiratory infection and took almost 2 mo’s this x 2 recover.  I have always suffered w/chronic bronchitis since early 80’s (tonsils removed in 20’s).  I am 56 yrs old and unfortunately began smoking 40+ yrs ago.

I have w/in past mo began having probs breathing when talking.  Need to stop in mid sentence just to try and get a deep breath.  Wheezing nitely now (don’t notice it so much during day).  Sleeping is horrible!  To clean, ugh...  chemicals tough on the lungs !

I have been noticing a burning in upper back area (rt side) where we snap our bra.  Is there anyone else that experiences this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lori, yes, have the pain on bra line but on the left hand side, I was told that it was from excessive coughing inflaming the muscles around lungs. Took ages to heal, physio did help, couldn't take a deep breath, fear set in. Horrible pain had also an infection that was not easily reduced with. 4 different lots of antibotics. All in all not a happy girl. I now find that each infection has a damaging effect on my breathing capacity. My sympathies, it is a very very challanging disease. Kindest thoughts to you. 

• Posted

Wow I am so sorry for you also !!  My ct did also show a previous fractured rib wound 8th rib I believe.  I assumed it was a result of coughing also.  My CT did show this emphysema in both lungs; upper lobes.  Saw Dr yest and he is now sending me to pulmonologist for testing.  Told to increase rescue inhaler 5-6 x’s daily until I see him again in 2 was.  U take care and thank u 4 responding so quickly.  
    • Posted

“2 weeks” lol.  I don’t see an edit button.  Sorry ...
    • Posted

Lori, many of us have given up all regular cleaning chemicals because they are bad for the lungs. Some folks go all the way to just vinegar and baking soda. I still use only 7th Generation cleaning wipes. Scent-free, die-free laundry detergent & dryer sheets and never any of these new laundry stink-extenders. No febreze, no wall stink plug-ins, no candles.

No bug sprays. Try to leave house while someone else vacuums & dusts.

Hooe you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank u so much and taking the time to respond to me.  I am certain that my methods of cleaning will b changing.  Awesome tips !
  • Posted

Hi Lori!   I have lived in Lakewood CO for 76 years and have had COPD for about 9 years....when I became disoriented and my blood oxygen level was 72, I went to the doctor.    Just  a little background:  diagnosed via CT scan, IMMEDIATELY  put on oxygen to be used during the night,  I use Spiriva and Symbicort every day and try to walk 2 to 3 miles every day..... I am very active.   I truly feel the oxygen has kept me as healthy as I am today and I am dismayed that more doctors do not prescribe oxygen until the last resort.  So far, I only need to see my pulmonary doctor once a year unless I develop problems and in that 9 years, I have only had one exacerbation.  I have an albuterol rescue inhaler but I am lucky that I have never had to use it .   Whenever we are traveling out of town I check the altitude of the areas that we will be visiting and I have found that I am OK until I get to about 11,000 feet.  I am so sorry that you're having the pain that you are having  and that is something I have not experienced.     The reason that I told you my background is that I urge you to check with your physician regarding the use of oxygen.....it truly is saving my life  and keeping me more active.  Keep in touch, I wish you the best!

• Posted

Thank u so much for ur response Sandy.  

I also try and stay active (just recently started having probs on treadmill breathing.  He upped my dosage daily on the rescue inhaler and knows that I am struggling with sleep also.  Maybe he will order that for me at nite.  I’m very lucky so far to have someone with the compassion he has.

At 45 yrs of age I began having vascular stents as my aorta is so  bad.  I’ve Had a total of 8 stents to date and an aortic bypass back in Nov 2018.  Just did testing a few mo’s ago and have another 50%  Blkg and one clot that that the blood thinner has not dissolved from 12/16 stenting.  The nite of surgery I showered multiple clots again (sigh).

This is really the “last” thing I expected to happen but I’m trying very hard to not give up and keep going so I go to gym and try to keep my blood flowing.

It breaks my heart to read all of the threads here but have had so many questions answered so bless u all ...  thank u again for the tips u left me and u take care.  Hope to speak to u again soon as it looks like I have just found another home 🤗

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.