I also have Diverticular

Posted , 6 users are following.

I also have Diverticular, I get no pain or other symptoms, apart I have had three massive bleeds.

The latest one last week started around 3am with me having stomic ake. 

On going to the toilet I lost a large amount of blood, which contuinued for around five hours.

I was by then unable to stand, so I phoned my son to ask him to get me an ambulance.

at the hospital I was given 3 infusions of clear liquied and two infusions of blood. I was allowed home a few days later.

This last bleed was my worsr so far.

I will have to see what the follow up visets to doctor & hospital bring.

Any advice for me please?

I am a 73 year old male living in the UK.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That would be pretty terrifying for you. I just get the pain, fever & vomiting. Good luck with everything

• Posted

Very many thanks to all for your replys re my blood loss etc, I will updated this when I get any information from the doctor or hospital.

I can see I am lucky I do not get any other problems other that the massive bleeds, but I must admit I will now be worried every time I need the toilet.

Take care all,

Barry

• Posted

Hi Barry

I just wondered if your episodes of bleeding followed a period of constipation and/or straining.  If you are not already taking it, you might want to consider taking a stool softener to make it easier to pass.  The hospital or your doctor should be able to advise you.  Best wishes

• Posted

Hello Felina, I have in the past taken a stool softener, but I was always worried it might cause an accident while out!

But on this last bleed I was not aware of any constipation or straining to cause it.

I will waite and see if I get any advice from my doctor or hospital.

• Posted

Good idea Barry.  My softener has never caused an accident whilst out - in fact when I am not in the throes of an attack it actually made me nice and regular, first thing in the morning.  A couple of visits, nice and easy, then perhaps another in the evening.  You might have to chase the doctors!!!! (Bitter experience). 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.