I am 22 and I tested hypertensive in 2015, it worries me coz it is not reducing

Posted , 3 users are following.

I tested hypertensive(150/80) in 2015, and started exercising, this made me cut my weight from 79kg-70kg in a year. just two months back I went back to hospital and worryingly I had a bp of 160/90 . The doctor prescribed some diuretics but after the two weeks dosage I tested again and there was no change. I exercise daily but am worried about my numbers, can anyone advise?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It depends partly on how old you are. Many doctors are getting more tolerant about marginally high BP these days in people above middle age. I've recorded 160/90 in my doctor's office on a number occasions but he always waits a few minutes before trying again. However, I often have a diastolic of 90 anyway, and this is the more important number of the two. My doctor says my BP is borderline high and I may well need to go on medication in the next few years, but he's in no hurry about this, preferring to keep an eye on things. However, I'm 73. If you're, say, in your 20s, 160/90 would be slightly more worrying.

I'm also wondering whether you have a home monitor. A lot of people have "white coat syndrome", producing significantly higher readings in their doctor's office or at a hospital. Checking your BP at home from time to time might reassure you.

Before accepting any more medication for what is only a moderately high BP (on the assumption you're not very young) it might be a good idea to ask whether you could go on 24-hour monitoring. This involves wearing a BP cuff for a whole day, with automatic readings being taken at regular intervals. 24-hour monitoring gives a better idea of where your BP is going, rather than a one-off reading in possibly stressful conditions.

• Posted

Oops, sorry - I didn't read the heading of your post! Now I see you're only 22. 160/90 is slightly worrying in that case, though it would still be a good idea to get a home monitor, as well as asking to go on 24-hour monitoring before going on any more medication. You're by no means at danger level.

Congratulations on the weight loss, btw. If you're at least 1m70 (5ft 7in) 70kg is a good weight. If you're a lot shorter than that, you still have some way to go with weight loss, of course, unless you're exceptionally muscular from all that exercise.

In the meantime, there are other lifestyle measures you can try. Cutting back significantly on sugar (especially sugary drinks) is another one, as well as reducing carbs and salt intake. And smoking will always tend to raise your BP.

• Posted

Hi it can be really worrying when your bp seems to be elevated but it may just be a bit of anxiety and white coat syndrome, why did you originally go to the hospital when your bp was first noticed, also it is possible your overweight if your not too tall.

Do you have any long term conditions, ie diabetes, colitis etc.

Try not too worry to much, my partners bp was 260+ over 190 and he was medicated and his is fine now has been for years.

Do you have a home bp machine and have they suggested a weeks readings to compare, has it ever been taken anywhere but drs and hospital.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.