I am 4 weeks post TKR and having so much trouble sleeping.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I sleep for an hour and wake up to the knee being somstiff and uncomfortable. Any suggestions? I am exhausted. Thanks, zhelga

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Helga35, I think that all of us have been through this and yes, it's so hard and so tiring. Do you take pain meds at bedtime? That's always helped me. When you wake are you able to move your knee gently to unlock it? Those 2 things have saved me and I know you're about to receive many helpful tidbits of information from some great people.  All the best. 

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, I do take the pain meds before. The knee is so stiff at night. I guess patience is the key but the lack of sleep is taking its toll on me.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear Helga, it's so hard when you can't sleep enough. Read through Chico's links about this, he's very informative.  It's still very early in your recovery.  I was still in hospital and then rehab at that stage so I really feel for you. With both of my TKRs I spent nearly 5 weeks in hospital and rehab. My house is 3 storeys and no-one to help me so they were so good to me. There's also no level that I could just stay on.  But now my stair walking is fabulous! First TKR about 20 months ago and 2nd about 10 weeks ago.

• Posted

Hello Helga,

I was told to ice, ice, ice but what I found helped me was a really hot bath an hour or so before going to bed and doing exercises whilst in the water. I'd then take pain killers and found I seemed to sleep much better. Sometimes also when I woke up during the nigh with my knee so stiff and painfult I'd do just a few exercises (not too many) and that also seemed to help. I'm just over a year post tkr and I promise it will get better. Good luck with your recovery x

• Posted

Would love to be able to get in and out of the bath!! Only 5/52 post op so still early days but sleep very elusive.I try hard not to get anxious about not sleeping and have read more books in the middle of the night putting time in until I can take painkillers again. School holidays so not good time to go to local swimming pool but think this would be beneficial
  • Posted

It is common. Knee gets stiff, move it around for a bit. Keep up pain medication overnight. Mentally work on relaxing so not to get anxious about not being able to sleep. If you cannot cope contact GP who may give you something to help with sleep.
    • Posted

Helga...  If that doesn't work, call Warner Brothers and have them send over Wiley Coyote with the 16-ton weight he used to try and drop on The Roadrunner...guaranteed to work.  My wife keeps a huge rubber mallet on her side of the bed...

• Posted

Hi Helga. My doc prescribed a muscle relaxer (flexiril) which I take about an hour before bed. It lasts longer than the pain meds & has really helped me to sleep. It's actually the only thing that works for me but makes me too sleepy to take during the day.

• Posted

So glad I read your post! Asking for a muscle relaxer med to take before bed is a brilliant idea! I dislike the norco I take and worry about having problems getting off it...I take as few as I can and try to go a day without and then maybe a day with 1 or 2 only.

The side effect of feeling too sleepy is also perfect too! I'm going to ask my internist about this. 

• Posted

I was on 10mg Percocet and 10mg Flexeril after my TKR.  Those mid-range opioids don't really work on me so the Flexeril was a great help.  Titrating down from the Norco is easy...take half the dose (snap the pill in half) but stay on the same time schedule...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/staying-ahead-of-the-pain-563395

The goal is to maintain a specific level of pain reliever in your body at all times.  You don't just stop.  I was married to a pharmacist for 25 years and now a lady who was a psych nurse for 30.  You get to know this stuff after a while...

• Posted

Hi,

I am 1 week behind you, but only a partial knee replacement. We are very early in the process from what everyone on here says. I, too, have suffered from no sleep from the very beginning. It drives you crazy. For me, I have to use an ice pack on my knee, along with a Tramadol. The tramadol doesn't really help me with the pain so much as the ice does, but it makes me drowsy and I'm able to get a couple of hours of sleep, then up again to get a new ice pack. Stay with this website. I follow posts everyday. There is a lot of wisdom on here. I hope you can find what works for you! 😀

• Posted

Tramadol is a mild opioid but still an opioid.  If you need to get drowsy, try 50mg Diphenhydramine (generic Benadryl).  Two capsules 1/2 to 1 hour before bed.  See if that works for you.  Check for drug interactions before you take ANYTHING!!!
    • Posted

sleep still eludes me. Had a total knee reolacement in 2015 and had troubles then too.  I find this website very helpful. Suggestions are great and very much appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.