I am 47 and my 1st and 2nd PSA readings witching 6 weeks is 10.7

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am scheduled to have a biopsy in a week. My rectal exams - physical and dre - are clear of concern and I feel well with no visual or physical signs of problem. As you know this sounds good but can actually be signs of PC. I am freaked out and seek words of wisdom. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Did you just have a PSA as part of a routine check up? If it feels OK it probably is OK. Did they estimate how big your prostate is?

My PSA was 5.1 in 1994 and two negative biopsies later by 2005 it was 9.6.

In that time my prostate had grown from 35 grms to 75 grms. Big prostate = High PSA.

• Posted

I am seeing a new gp who ordered the psa as part of my annual check up. Neither he or the urologist referenced size but both were quite insistent on having a biopsy due to the relatively high psa lev
    • Posted

If you had sex in the two days before the PSA test that would affect the reading. Also if they did a DRE prior to the blood test. 
  • Posted

To make sure I tested a second time 6 weeks later with no sex for three days in advance.  Blood was tested twice before dre. 
  • Posted

Unfortunatly speculation isnt much help. neither is trying to alter the test results. You either have prostrate cancer or you dont. That is step one. If you have there are so many treatments available. i was diagnosed in 2009 with 12 months to live. im still here.

When the biopsey is done youll know for sure and how agressive it is. might have caught it in time.

Good Luck

Peter

• Posted

Hello Brock,

Your concerns are quite understandable. A biopsy will let you know definitively where you are at regarding PC, if any.

in the meantime you might like to look at a site :  

http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/content/13/3/299.full

This is an informative and helpful article entitled ' What to do with an Abnormal PSA Test '  by S. Loeb and Others.  And despite its simplistic title, it really is chapter and verse, regarding PSA.

I note patient.info  has you listed as a 56 point 2Star contributor and so this is obviously not your first post.  In order that you might be supported more fully by the  General Community and we have a clearer picture of your issues and concerns, do you mind advising us where else you have been active?

In the meantime,  I wish you all the best and hope that your situation,  once clarified by biopsy results,  is not too severe. 

Kind Regards

Dudley

• Posted

Dudley, Thank you for your thoughts and for sharing the site. I will take a look this evening after work.  This is the first and only forum I inititated a dialogue.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.