I am 48 years old and have a 11cm intramural Fibroid

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have had a scan and my consultant has said i could be suitable for the procedure Uterine Fibroid Embolistaion. But before he can confirm exactly if it is possible he wants to do a MRI Scan .

What findings can be found that will prevent the UFE? 

Is this Procedure good for such fibroids?

Thanks 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi ..I'm also 48 and have just had UFE to treat a 15cm intramural fibroid (2 weeks ago). I suffer from horrible long painful periods so I'm hoping this will fix it. The MRI will allow them to see how successful treatment should be...depends on blood vessels and location of fibroids and if it has a submucosal element etc. Two weeks on I feel fine.

• Posted

Aww thank you for your reply how was your experience after the procedure ? . I feel like 5 Months pregnant atb the moment im hoping my abdomen will go down.

• Posted

For the first 5/6 days were quite difficult.. Quite a lot of pain and nausea. The second week was much better..almost no pain just fatigue. I don't know if its worked yet but I thought it was worth a shot. I've still got kids at home and didn't fancy the long recovery of a hysterectomy. Fingers crossed

• Posted

Yeah same here cant cope witht he thought of a long recovery so hoping i can have this procedure..
  • Posted

Hi Jaz,

I'm 47 I have a 12/13cm lower posterior wall intramural fibroid. My MRI showed some degeneration, small but numerous blood supplies. So I couldn't have UFE.

As far as my knowledge goes, size reduction I think is less after UFE for intramural, due to multiple blood supply. For example those on a stalk, block the stork, job done!

I seen a consultant in London last Thursday, he said he had done more hysterectomies after UFE, than after myomectomy. But then that's just one consultants opinion, they seem to differ in opinion.

If you are keen for a UFE I hope you scan comes back positive for one, my fibroid has been with me more than 10 years & I've been taking drugs on & off for it for 2 1/2 years. So I'm not sure if the degeneration shown on MRI will change once I'm off the drugs as my fibroid still has live blood supply. All I know is I'm sick to the back teeth of having a fibroid the complications they cause! My local friends & consultants have offered safe advice but after years of referrals here & there, (which isn't easy to be referred & sat in front of certain people & takes months) I do feel fobbed off! I don't want an open procedure yet all other avenue's are been closed in my face!

• Posted

Im sorry to hear your story im the same dnt want to have an open procedure . Ive coped for 2.5 years but it has got to a point where my abdomen is big and its putting a lot of pressure on my back and legs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.