I am 55 and have had RLS for at least 20 years. As is p...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 55 and have had RLS for at least 20 years. As is predicted, it has got worse with age to the extent that I am now awake till about 4a.m. Then typically the symptoms wear off and I can usually sleep till about 8a.m. I may then go back to bed later now I am not at work.

I've tried various things over the years, such as exercise, massage, giving up caffeine and alcohol. Some things worked for a while, but thwe symptoms always came back after a while. I found Valium helped when I was prescribed it for something else, but my doctor wouldn't prescribe it for RLS.

At the moment I'm trying Codeine but it's early days yet, so can't tell whether it will work or not. Gentle massage always works, but you can't get to sleep while you are massaging and if you stop the symptoms come back!!

Some day hopefully there will be a cure.

[i:2563a1df35]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2563a1df35]

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Have you tried drinking tonic water before you go to bed, it works wonders for me

Hope it works

Michelle

• Posted

2 most effective things for me, soaking in a hot bath and using a bean bag as follows:  I make my bean bags with flannel and the cover with fleece.  8 inches by 20 inches, fill with approximately 6 cups of winter red hard wheat berries (so when laying flat about 1 inch high).  Heat in microwave for 2-3 minutes, take out and move around to mix wheat berries, and heat another 2-3 minutes.  Lie in bed face down with rear end up (looking cute:-), and bag at back of knees, between both legs, touching thighs and calfs.  Instant relief.  The wheat berries will stay warm for up to 30 minutes. Adjust legs to what is comfortable over time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.