i am 55 and post meneposal

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am 55. been through with the change for 14 years. Will hormone therepy help make me just feel better?

0 likes, 5 replies


5 Replies

  • Posted

    If you're in the UK karen your GP probably won't let you have a blood test because NICE guidelines state that for women over 50 the doctor should diagnose by symptoms only. It's worth trying HRT though. I took it for a long time and it helped me enormously.
  • Posted

    Maybe ask your GP for a referral to a specialist menopause clinic? I know the clinic at the Chelsea and Westminster is excellent, as is Gerry Conway at UCLH (he will also deal with thyroid issues).

    A lot of my symptoms of early menopause were missed by my GP - palpitations, fine tremors/vibrations, things tasting different, sore eyes. Though also had classic shot flushes and fatigue, but these weren't recognised for what they were - early menopause.

    The menopause clinic also tend to diagnose on symptoms, only occasionally doing blood tests (for me, anyhow) but they're way less wary of prescribing HRT than GPs.


Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up