I am 63 a non smoker /drinker

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have suffered with extra beats and palpitations for 20 odd years,no reason has been found, I do get very stressed and worry about things a lot of the time, in the past 2years I have gone to hospital with a pounding heart which lasted for about 8 hrs until they gave me a beta blocker and sent me home. It beats about 210 per minute, really scary. My dad died so iscemic heart disease at 85. My doctor has prescribed beta blockers  but I'm afraid to take them because of side effects, I am generally fit otherwise, I am diabetic type 2 on medication,any views please

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Try the beta blockers. Start low increase according to resting pulse. you know if its 60 then fine. If the beta blockers work and you dont get side effects you can resume your life. If they cause side effects just stop. Get your diabetes checked soon after because they can cause an increase. And get regular check ups with a heart doctor.
  • Posted

If you choose to use the beta blockers be careful - my pharmacist has put on the instruction "Do not suddenly stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor first".   I have no idea what would happen if I just suddenly stopped!!!!!! During bad spells I either sit quietly taking 10 deep breaths, tapping exercises designed to calm your nerves or distraction therapy.  I know how you feel and you are with us all on this site trying to help one another - keep calm. 
    • Posted

I've stopped taking them three times due to side effects. The last time was last Wednesday. The only thing that I have noticed is improvement.
    • Posted

hi i was told by my GP to take mine as and when i needed. People with problem migraines take beta blockers like you would take a headache pill, as required so my guess is they are ok. I would imagine its diffrent if your on a particularly high does
  • Posted

Hi Janet. I started having ectopic beats last Christmas. I'm 44 and also a non smoker and drinker. I started taking magnesium supplements which seems to have helped. However, my ectopic beats seem worse when I have indigestion. I used to be fanatical about exercising. In fact my theory is I did to much and my heart Under tremendous stress. Since cutting my exercise routine in half I have had less episodes. I am seeing a cardiologist in October.
    • Posted

Nothing like the NHS for making us wait.

There are well recorded links between ectopic beats AF and indigestion.

If you read other conversations on this forum you will find that others find that their ectopic beats go during exercise.

• Posted

hi i  to find that my palps ease with less to no excercise sometimes, I have had some big ones whilst exercising before. However i think you need to have a happy balance maybe try a more low intensity exercise like walking?
  • Posted

Hi,  I use to have SVT episodes. I had an ablation and it cured them.  I would not hesitate to have one as it gives you your life back. 6 years SVT free!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.