I am 65 and have almost unbearable Psudo Gout

Posted , 4 users are following.

Affected today are my ankles, knees, hips, wrists (rod inserted, now cant bend my wrist), elbows, shoulders, and back spasms. Last few days have wet myself several times due to immobility.

I'm not looking for sympathy...how do others handle it. I have been on Morphine/Percocet with monthly help from Prednisone for 10 years. Prednisone helps the most and is probably the worst for me. Colcicine, allupurinal, do nothing. I am in so much pain and thought I was pretty tough. Live on a farm and I can't can't keep up. "You don't know what you've got till it's gone."

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Ja k,

I am sorry for your pain. I have been in pain now for two years, and can't imagine it for ten! The gout folks have their intense episodes, but don't deal with what the pseudogout folks go through. With us there is no treatment or cure. I'm not minimizing their experience, just not much info for the pseudogout issues.

That said, I have found some relief from infrared saunas, and hot tub jets on affected body parts. It is short term, but sometimes is the difference of me functioning or not. I am going for an appointment soon to get my medical marijuana license to see if that will help. I have resisted taking colchcine, but maybe I should reconsider, as it might help. Thanks for posting! I was thinking I was the only one trying cope with the long term disabling pain. Best, Maren

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your pain,I am a man of 72 years old who has suffered with gout on and off for the past 30 years but lately I am having more attacks and my uric levels are high 519 compared to 430 I have taken alapurenol but stopped taking it due to pain in the muscles in the arms and severe pain in hands and general pains over all my body .cholchine does work providing you take it prior to a attack also drink plenty of water and try to find out which foods are causing it. and avoid caffeine and sweet drinks,offal and any foods with a high content of Purines I am having regular blood tests for kidney function and levels of uric acid .hope you get some relief from this terrible debilitating condition don't give up their is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

Hi, I was just diagnosed with gout for the first time, so I'm not sure if this will work for you, but since I originally thought I just had an inflamed area on my foot, I tried using some electrical stimulation to get the pain to a manageable level so I could sleep. That seemed to help me much better than ice or heat or elevation, and I can't take NSAIDS, so maybe you could give it a try? They make little at home devices you can get on amazon, and I had one for some minor back muscle inflammation, and when I used it on my foot, it took the pain down to almost gone. As long as I don't walk on the swollen area, it seems to do ok. Electric stim is good for inflammation though, so maybe it would still work for pseudo gout? It might at least get the pain to a manageable level anyhow. Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.