I am 73 and have iliotibial Band syndrome

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had TKR 22 months ago stopped taking any kind  medication after 18 months put myself on a diet was 10st 2lb, now 9st although i was only on iburufin but i think mediction keeps weight on you. The reason i stopped medicating was i hurt when tacking the tablets &  it made my head hurt also just felt the pain never ending and the rest  of my body went into slow down.Pain never completley stops, but certainly dont feel so helpless and bad all the time. The problem i have now developed, and is waking me in the night is my iliotibial band,a large muscel running on outside of the leg from hip to the knee.I have the exercises to do to help it which hurt so much when doing. However my ? is,  Should i not do them every day if it hurts and or perhaps do them every other day so not to over do the good, and has anyone else had the same happen.   Thanking you all Beryl

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I can't advise you @ your exercises as I don't know. All I would say Beryl is  that I  think you should go back to your doctor surely he can help you , well done for losing the weight, as the less we have truly must help the knee. I've lost half a stone without trying which I can ill  afford (7.1/2 stone) but I think it's caused by the medication , we all seem to have our problems.. one thing I will say is that I've heard that too much ibuprofen can cause upsets ,I really would go back to your doctor rather than struggle on your own . Good luck .i hope you get this sorted & feel better soon 

• Posted

I have seen a doctor & awaiting an Xray & physio appointment Thanking you foryour comments

• Posted

I'm 70 and had tkr 3 weeks ago. I had bone on bone and had horrible it band pain. I had the knee surgery hoping it would help the it band. My surgeon gave me a cortisone shot in the top and bottom of the band and that helped. Hopefully when my knee heals that will go away.

Yes go back to your doctor. He may be able to help. Pt didn't help that it band at all.

• Posted

I have already been to doctors awaiting Xray  & physio appointment  Thank you for your comments

• Posted

I think you need to discuss with your Doctor and physio
    • Posted

I have already done that waiting for Xray & an appointment for physio    Tank you for your comments

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.