I am 73 and have lichen sclerosus for 14 months

Posted , 6 users are following.

For another reason I was prescribed an antibiotic Primetheprim and all of a sudden the lichen sclerosus cleared up and my urticaria disappeared. I just thought this may help someone else.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

So pleased for you Jenny! Good to know that there is hope out there - it all seems to be so hit and miss but in your case a hit!
    • Posted

i will keep my fingers crossed but all is well at the moment and it has been two months now.
  • Posted

wow thanks Jenny that's brilliant news!

Do you or rather (did youbiggrin !!) have any other autoimmune condition?

Love Marey 

• Posted

Yes i have an underactive thyroid which seems to happen with LS
    • Posted

I did not say that right i had the thyroid for twenty years
    • Posted

hi jenny

i agree with you about thyroid probs. do you still have an underactive thyroid or is this also cured?

when i was asking about auto immunity....i was accidentally asking you, in the present tense, as if you still had it ....whereas you don't still have LS! which is brill....so i was just celebrating with you by putting it in the past!! (hence the smiley face xx)!  that's why i corrected myself by asking 'did you' rather than 'do you' cos you don't have LS anymore!

anyway am very pleased for you and interested as I've heard that infection eg candida can be an underlying cause of both LS and hypothyroidism.

would you say your hypothyroidism is clearing up too?

love marey x 

• Posted

Hi Jenny, I'm 62 and was diagnosed a year ago when I had a raging infection on my vulva. I took the course of antibiotics and most of the terrible symptoms were gone. But that was a secondary infection that arose during the fusing of my labia. Half-fused labia let germs in and give them a place to grow. After the boil healed, the zipping-up was complete. Totally fused labia provide a complete barrier (to pleasure as well sad, but definitely to germs). I still need to use the Clobetasol (Dermovate) to keep the cracking and itching to a minimum, to prevent further scarring and hopefully to make squamous cell cancer more unlikely.
  • Posted

Interesting.  I'm going to see my dermatologist early next month will discuss this with her.
  • Posted

Isn't it lovely to be itch free I am after 12 years of thinking it was just old age. I have also been diagnosed with under active thyroid so there may be a link.
  • Posted

It was just by pure chance that I took these antibiotics so cannot guarantee it will work for others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.