i am 78 and have just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. For about 25 years i was hypothyroid

Posted , 3 users are following.

this diagnosis shocked me. i have been taking 125mg thyroxine for years. I am awaiting a test to tell me how much i should be taking, recently had endoscope which showed  ilflammation of  stomache and duodenum. cleared with massive dose of 40mg daily of omeprazole.which i am supposed to take for life.. I also had high ferritin level and normocytic anaemia. all this now cleared. About 3 years ago i was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency and have been taking supplement D3 ( colecalcipherol) 20 mcg daily. i read on a previous forum here posted  3 years ago that someone had heard that silent reflux acid could be associated with hypothyroidism. Has anyone else got anything similar or can add to what i have said.   I recently started going to the gym  6 days a week  (50 minute session on rower.  and bike ). the last time i had a big change in my thyroid was when i started going regulrly to the gym, then stopped it but then i was underactive. Doctor says gym no bearing on anything. has anyone any comment to make on this  / thyroid is a minefield.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Gwanwyn, 

Thyroid levels fluctuate.

Thyroid medication dose has a +/- 10%, so you could have a difference of 30% between lots.

Drug manufacturers change medication formulations frequently.

Exposure to mercurynromine or other chemicals can cause thyroid disease. As these toxins leave the system, thyroid function improves.

Thyroid patients are notorious for gut peobkema, which is why so many patients are gluten free. 

Subclinical pancreatitis can result in many of the same gut issues that thyroid patients experience. 

There’s a huge connection between the liver, gallbladder, panceaas, adrenals and thyroid.

• Posted

well thank you for that !  Now where do i go  with this i wonder ?  I cannot find any meaning or reference to  the word  "peobkema ". would you be kind enough to explain this ? . thank you so much for your comment. I think I will continue  exercising in the gym every day and hope everything bad just goes away !!!

• Posted

Sorry. Gut problems. (Typing on a little tiny key pad).

Sometimes waiting helps and thing just level out.  Don’t wait it out too long. If you’re still having problems in a few months, you may want to try switching meds.

• Posted

thank you again. I dont understand everything, but am grateful for your intervention. Is there anybody else out there with similar medical problems. My next step anyway is to go gluten free and see what happens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.