I am 78 and was very healthy until i was prescribed amlodipino for my blood pressure. for the past three months i have had severe swollen ankles, ver

Posted , 1 user is following.

can anyone suggest an alternative to this drug as i am fed up not being aBLE TO WEAR ANY SHOES BECAUSE OF MY SWOLLEN FEET. JUST ANOTHER THING I AM COVERED IN BRUISES OVER MY ARMS AND LEGS IS THIS ANOTHER SIDE EFFECT.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Yep it gave me terrible swollen legs and ankles. If you go back to your GP they will not be surprised  - it's a really common side effect [about 1 person in 10)! So go!

If it is given for blood pressure & angina. With high blood pressure there are many alternatives - eventually I settled on Ramipril - the only side effect being an occassionally tickly cough.

It's really, really common with high BP to need to find the right mix for you. Please go back to the GP. It might help  him or her to understand the scale of your problem if you measure your ankles not swollen and at the end of the day.

Good Luck - let us know how you get on?

• Posted

thanks for  your comments, but why should we have to put up with swollen ankles etc.  i am going to try and find an alternative.  why dont gps  tell you this is the problem.
    • Posted

I was just wondering if Ramipril was prescribed by your gp or a health shop as i might try it.
    • Posted

A good GP should tell you this! And the possible side effects are listed in the box the tablets come in - afraid you really should read these nowadays. Alternatively, ask your pharmacist when you pick up any new prescription. They should be able to tell you the most common side effects.

Swollen ankles affects only 1 in 10 users of amlodopine - so most people really don't have this side effect. Every medecine we take is chemically active - this means that some people will always react. 

Ramipril is a prescription only drug - you need to go to a doctor. And you should. Your doctor will then make a note on your records so that this does not happen again. Amlodopine is a Calcium Channel blocker and it is likely that l=all that family of drugs will not suit you.

There are many alternatives and it can take a while to get the mix right. A good GP knows this and will work in partnership with you to get your 'recipe' right. There are many alternative strategies.

On the whole (as an exbiologist) I need to see really good evidence for any Health shop product. There are only a very few that do that in my opinion.

I think that's all I have to offer on this. confused

• Posted

your reply has been a real help and i will do as you suggest.  do the side effects make your  blood thin and cause many bruises on legs and arms which are painful.
    • Posted

i went to a good pharmasists who sold health alternatives and we bought

a packet of TENSIOregul   they cost 18 euros and when i opened them i cant take them as they are big and uncoated and make me throw up.  so back to the drawing board.  ps in case you didnt realise i live in spain.

• Posted

Ramipril is a common drug in Spain. It does not make you bruise. Honestly - just go back to a doctor wink  It might be called Altace over there. I assume you speak Spanish?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.