I am 79 and never heard of cervical spondylosis until three days ago

Posted , 3 users are following.

I like to climb and swim. I had just done about 10 lengths of the local pool when I felt a bit cold around the shoulders. By the time I got out it had grown to strong pain, spreading across my shoulders, back and arms. About three minutes later and pain was unbearable and I was writhing on the ground, unable to stand, sit or lie. I could hardly speak but I did plenty of groaning and screeching. I have never experienced or witnessed others endure this level of pain.

The initial pains started to subside after about 20 minutes and began to come and go in waves, never letting up. Eventually an ambulance and a stretcher appeared, took me to the local healthcare centre, someone ran an ECG and shot some painkiller and diazapan into my backside. After an hour I was able to shuffle. Next day I was 95% recovered but a little groggy.

Question

Was that cervical spondylosis and is it coming back?

All comment gratefully received.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Colin.

I have cervical spondylosis with myelopathy and can't say that is what I've experienced in the area you describe. Maybe someone else has. Did the hospital suggest CS or is it what you've looked up from your awful episode.

I sincerely hope you make a speedy recovery and that it isn't the dreaded CS

• Posted

Thanks Chrsmatthe. My GP spondylosis is back pain - not my problem. I thought it might be CS after reading this website.

I injured my neck about 50 years ago. I believe two vertebrae are impacted but have never given trouble. Other related symptom is a tendency to run out of electrolytes, especially sodium, after climbing in hot humid weather for an hour or two.

In about three hours I am heading back to the pool to try things out.

• Posted

Hello Colinac,

I'm sorry to learn of your pain,it must have been really worrying,to say the least.My C/S started as a mild stiff neck arounf four years ago,then a severe pain along the right hand side of my jaw,and now that has ceased and been replaced by a pain going up the back of my head which results in light headed feeling and losing my balance,which ended up in an ambulance ride and visit to A&E.

Now I have a stick which helps no end.

Sorry I can be of no help,but I hope you do not experience any other such "attacks" and good luck for the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.