i am 8 weeks aFTER HAMMER TOE OPERATION

Posted , 4 users are following.

ITS STILL STIFF, SWOLLEN, A NUMB, NOT HEALED BACK OF TOE, PAIN FULL, SURGEON SAID OK TO LOOK FOR A JOB! WITH UNIVERSAL CREDIT!!!!. LOOKED ON LINE. SAYS UP TO 6 MONTHS FOR SWELLING TO GO DOWN, CAN NOT GO SICK FOR 6 MONTHS, BUT DO NOT FEEL HAPPY ABOUT WORKING YET, WITH TOE IN THIS STATE, 60 YEARS OLD. HOW CAN SURGEON SAY IN ONE BREATH, TOE NOT HEALED, SWOLLEN, STIFF, THEN SAY YES GO GET AJOB DO NORMAL ACTIVITES. FRANNIE123

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear that! So, are you unable to walk? I know that usually they say that after 6 weeks your bones are healed, you can walk. I had bunion and hammer toe surgery 2 weeks ago. Today I had my first check up and had the stitches removed. My second toe (formerly hammer toes) is in a lower plane than the other toes. The nurse practitioner who saw me was scared of that. Also, there is a sore on the bottom of this second toe. She contemplated taking the pin out (when in fact the pin has to be in for 6 weeks) but then she took a pic of my toe and texted it to doc who responded that he did position this tow lower in order to counterbalance the fact that previously it was raised up. He said that ultimately all toes will be properly aligned. Let's hope so. In the meantime, let us both hope for a speedy recovery

• Posted

My foot surgery was similar to yours only mine included a metal plate in big toe making it stationary with plastic pins in the next two toes. One of pins is working itself out through toe causing pain as I walk. The big toe is so wide now that I'm unable to wear any previous shoes and am still in flops, as cold as it is and horseshoes in side. I've been disabled for several years now and can't afford to purchase specifically made shoes for my feet. I not only regret this surgery but my choice in the surgeon even more.

• Posted

Where are you located? I am in Massachusetts. I researched my surgery options extensively and the doctor I chose is reputed to be the best in the state and among the 10 best in the nation. I thought he would put some permanent screw/plate to hold my big toe in place but he said he doesn't do that. He strongly advised me to have fusion by I didn't go for that after talking with some women who had had similar surgeries. He told me that the chances for success were 50-50 and I didn't like that but I still went ahead because he is supposed to be an excellent surgeon and I know that their model is to under promise and over deliver. Plus, I followed the instructions to the letter and I don't put any weight on my foot and keep it elevated most of the time. I figure that my foot will eventually be ok and even if it will start to get deformed again it will not be for a while. Anyway, I am 65, have had breast cancer and now they suspect me of having cancer again......Good luck with your foot and everything!

• Posted

I'm very sorry to hear about your cancer possibly returning. I have been living in Kentucky since my disability six years ago was awarded. Originally from TN whereas I had faith in the doctors there unfortunately isn't the case here. Unlike yourself I didn't research this dr instead took the word of my pcp; that he and I have discussed... My surgery wasn't because of having hammer toe, it was from cans dropping onto my foot for which I neglected causing broken toes and ligaments to heal wrong making the toes draw upward. Dr said arthritis had developed and that's where the second surgery came into play where the metal plate was needed. I regret this surgery, which I never had it done and just suffered with the way it was. Thank you for reaching out to me and I hope everything works out for you.

• Posted

Also I both of the surgeries done at the same time.

• Posted

Thank you. I wish you healing, as far as it is possible. Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.