I am 8 weeks post-op right knee total replacement.

Posted , 7 users are following.

If I don't wear my compression stockings to bed, I am lucky if I get a couple of hours sleep because I wake up with excrutiating pain in my knee and above it (I think it is nerve/neuropathic pain), as when I get up and move around or sit down my feet up, the pain goes away.  Last night I put the stockings back on for bed at around 11pm, and slept till 8!  I know the simple solution is wear them.  But I didn't have this problem when I had the left knee done and ditched the stockings well before the 6 weeks.

I am taking a multitude of drugs to try and get on top of this; 

co-codamol 30/500, gabapentin 300mg, amitrptiline, voltarol suppositories, Butrans patches, arcoxia.  

By now I should be using a lot less drugs than this, and unless I can get full sleep on a regular basis, it will delay my return to work.

I suppose my questions are;

1) Is there anything else I can do except wear the vile stockings

2) Has anyone else had this nerve pain following this procedure

3) Should I be doing anything else about this pain in my legs, or ignore it and be more patient (I have had 2 prior spinal surgeries, and this latest procedure was done under epidural and sedation)

I am new to the group and I am sorry for the ramble, but this "side effect" could be such a set back as I have got 110 degrees bend, no pain on walking, wound is healed and is regularly moisturised with E45 to help with movement

thank you

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.