I am 9 weeks post op after TKR and the pain is getting me down

Posted , 8 users are following.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I agree with Jenny when it comes to walking with support. In my opinion it's far better to use support to help alleviate pain and concentrate on walking correctly rather than rushing to increase distance and throw away the sticks. I mainly use one stick indoors now, but if there's pain or I feel I'm not walking correctly, when I go outside and, also, if I get up in the night and feel a bit wobbly, I use two. Glad to hear it's feeling a bit better after resting. Take it slowly and treat yourself to something nice. You've been though a lot, Take care.

• Posted

Hello, I am nine weeks tomorrow, can I ask you, does your knee feel odd, when you are sitting or lying, and you straighten your leg. I am very aware of my knee. I still have some pain and my pain medication has come to an end. Thank you, Susane

• Posted

I'm only 2 weeks in Susane, fedupgirl is at 9 weeks and I expect she'll reply too. At this stage you're still in the first stage of recovery - 12 weeks sometimes longer so it's fine to take over the counter painkillers, but check with your doctor if you're unsure. I've heard it can take up to 12 months in some cases before it feels like a knee, but everyone is different and you should see your doctor if you're concerned. Hopefully things will improve soon.

• Posted

Hi Susane, i am now in my 10th week and have found rest and elevation really help. I still try and do exercises but my physio advises that i do not push myself beyond the 4.5 threshold. I have spoken to my GP who has said i will probably require pain medication for quite a while longer, i would ask your doctor for more pain medication as you are still very early days into recovery, my leg does feel strange but is to be expected as we have had a whole new new knee. I know mine will work better in the end. This forum has helped alot as the pain has been getting me down too. Hang in there.

• Posted

Thanks Jenny, bought some new shoes on line as my shoe before op had to built up 10

• Posted

Thank you, please keep in touch, best wishes to you and your new knee, Susane

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, please keep in touch, best wishes Susane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.