I am a 19 year old female with HBP and had some adverse side effects in the past, what should I do?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am a 19 year old female who was diagnosed with high blood pressure a month ago. At first I was prescribed amlodipine (2.5mg), but it gave me heart palpitations. Then I was prescribed lisinopril (2.5mg), but it gave me chest pains, lower torso pains, and pains "down there" (these pains were short and sharp yet dull) . (I took both of those medications during the day). Now I have been taking Bystolic (2.5mg), but at night to avoid side effects because I am a full time college student and I need to be awake and focused during class lol(though for like the first three days I woke up with a little shortness of breath). The only thing is it doesn't drop my blood pressure throughout the day like the others and today my blood pressure has been elevated causing my chest pains and slight tremors to come back. I am kind of afraid to take it during the day because I don't know how it would affect me. So I have a couple questions, what medication you would refer to a 19 year old who has a clean medical history? Why you think I may have had the adverse side effect I had in the past or what ingredient that's in those two medications you think I may be allergic to? What are the "safest" (I know no drug is truly safe to take, especially these ones) blood pressure medications? Also, how long do side effects last and if the effects went away after a few days because I was sleep and didn't know will they come back if I take the bystolic in the day time?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello, how high is your bp? What do your parents say? Does bp run in the family? Do you exercise? How is your diet? Are there other medical issues? Exercise a few days per week for 30-60 minutes a day will help lower your bp. What is causing the rise in your bp? Stress, anxiety? It is difficult to offer suggestions without more details. You can lower your bp with exercise and diet. At 19, with good health what is causing the elevation?

• Posted

I exercise 5 days a week +30 minutes a day nothing but cardio. I have a healthy diet and everything. I think it just... happened over the course of time. My parents don't really know what happened. My mom has hbp she got it when she got pregnant with me. my dad has both hc and hbp but he just doesn't eat healthy lol so idk. It was probably caused by stress I was also depressed a few years ago and am just now really coming up from it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.