I am a 22 year old male, and i have recently undergone a...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 22 year old male, and i have recently undergone an optical urethrotomy and secondary cystoscopy.

The operation itself has been deemed a sucess by the consultant, Mr Rao, and all of my gratitude to him for his professional work, however the aftercare from the local trust has left a lot to be desired.

Being so young, this problem has probably been congential (present at birth) but i am so utterly disappointed to find that the nursing staff or local hospital trust are expecting me to cope with an indwelling catheter for 13days!

in the peak of my health, i normally heal quickly, and this has left me deeply depressed about having the discomfort of a silicone catheter for longer than necessary.

If you are due to undergo this procedure, get a statement of the intended time with a catheter, and get advice on the best suited catheter for you. that would be my biggest advice.

the procedure is fairly easy to undergo, the most horrible part is the catheter afterwards.

[i:5e3e23a3d8]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:5e3e23a3d8]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Although I empathise with you having a catheter for thirteen days, after my recent urethrotomy I was told by the nurses that I needed to have the urethral and suparpubic catheters in place for about 14 days at which time I would have a urethogram to determine if the op’ had been a success. This date was extended to three weeks but when my appointment came it was a further two weeks after that. In all I have both these tubes and all the discomfort that comes with them for five weeks. Why so long?. My local hospital has only two radiographers and it is now around the Easter holidays.

My advice to anyone in a similar position is to focus on the day it is due out and remember that some people have catheters in permanently.

[i:799fb49105]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:799fb49105]

• Posted

Just a correction to my previous reply. I had a Urethraplasty op', not a urethrotomy, (I think). They cut a piece out and joined thr two ends together. Or "cut and shut",

[i:2a14119404]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2a14119404]

• Posted

oh, i didnt see this bit, sorry, yeah you had the next step up, dilation and urethrotomy are managment techniques, urethroplasty is the more drastic but cure option,  did you not have urethrotomy first? just went straight to plasty?
  • Posted

hello, i too am a 22 year old male, i had a urethrotomy done yesterday morning to releive a stricture i am sure i have had from birth too, always had a less than average stream which got much worse back in august 2013 and even worse a couple months ago, was down to an average of 1.8ml a second, but now, wow, i have never experienced such a strong stream since after the procedure. must be like 25-30ml a second now.

i had a short but severe bulbar stricture apparently, i woke up about 2 hours after being put to sleep, to find the cotten disposable underwear with the pad in pretty much soaked in blood, my entire pubic area with dried blood staining, and my 1st 2nd and 3rd urinations after being transferred to the recovery room were far more blood than urine, and the following 5 urinations were still at least half blood, i was in the recovery room for 7 hours as they were short staffed and couldnt get round to discharging people fast enough i think. for a couple hours i experienced what iv very recently learnt to be called hypovolemic shock, i must of lost a litre of blood in the recovery room through what had soaked into the underwear and blanket and what i had peed out, but i think i was thought of as to be exaggerating by the nurses, there are 4 stages of hypovolemic shock, and from what i noticed i matched stage 2 100% and stage 3 about 30-40%. average male adult has about 5.2 litres of blood, los of 2 litres is close to death :S

the assisstant surgeon who i am still not sure as to whether he himself did the cutting or was an assisstant to the urologist i have been seeing for consultations and diagnosis precedures, came to see me very....very breifly after id been in the recovery room about 5 hours, he said that they had to dilate the opening, did the urethrotomy, had a look into bladder, then sort of scurried away before i could ask any questions, the original consultant urologist who has been dealing with me i didnt see after the morning consultation before the op where he explained it all to me to make sure i was still up for the procedure.

the nursing staff in the morning in ward 27 at york hospital were all very nice and kind, even sloppy, as i was very anxious. but i can't help but feel as though the staff in the afternoon and eavning in a different section of the hospital were just wanting to get me out the door asap and wern't as bothered about my complaints of blood loss and appropriate signs, i know they were understaffed and behind scheduale but still, someone who has haemophilia (a bleeding condition) complaining of blood loss....surely that should ring alarm bells. but basicly they discharged me as soon as i could walk on my own, i was very happy with the morning staff, but the afternoon / eavning staff made me wonder on work ethics.

i never got a catheter, i have been peeing straight through the cut for the last 30 or so hours, pain is slowly going away, had to buy some painkillers and stool softeners from a local chemist as i didnt get given anything from the hospital. the consultant said he didn't like putting catheters in as they can be painful and cause more damage, since this morning iv had no pain during urination, but a 5 second delay after finishing and it was excruciating for about 20 seconds in the opening because of the dilation needed to make it possible to get the scope in.

did you get a self dilation regime to help stop the stricture coming back?  i was told in the morning before my op i would need to self dilate, but when being discharged the nurse said there was nothing in the notes and because of that i didn't need to.

im going to make a full experience discussion on here if you'd like to read it, i don't want to be putting everything on this reply haha.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.