I am a 49yr old woman covinced I need a proper psychiatric assessment

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is my 4th episode of depression and by far the worst,I am convinced it is all reproduction related.Isuffered severe pms ,post-natal depression staved off another bout by going onto hrt approx 18months ago ( ?peri-menopausal) and now 11 weeks into another episode.I have never been referred to a psychiatrist and feel I should be ????

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi.  I work for the NHS.  Basically, unless you're suicidal, you will not be professionally assessed.  If depression is ruining your life, like it did mine, you always have the option to lie.  I did, and I finally recieved proper assesment, therapy and some decent treatment options.  The truth isn't nice, but that's how it goes.
    • Posted

Hi ,Thanks for reply,I too  work for NHS (30yrs) and i am so glad for my sense of humour and your candour because that's exactly where i am at !!! you couldn't make it up !!!! I have never been suicidal but told my counsellor yesterday if i wasn't listened to this time I would cause a commotion worthy of getting commited !!!!

• Posted

Yes, it's a sad state of affairs, but it is what it is.  It's horrid to lie, but, personally, I think many things are worse in life than suicide.  Suffering is worse than ending it.  It's just that suicides make a very easy measure to quanify for DoH returns.  Cynical, or relaistic?
  • Posted

Hi Lynne

This isn't really answering your post directly, but hope it can help you in some way!  Just because you mentioned menopause, I can highly recommend a website called 'menopause chit chat'.  Depression is often mentioned on the site and everyone is so very supportive and give great advice.

May be worth a quick look as well as gaining advice from this site?  Hope it helps!

• Posted

Thanks , do you know even doing this today has lifted my spirits x
    • Posted

I guess it's always nice to know you're not alone in this! :-)

• Posted

Hi Lynne, I have found that psychiatrists are hard to see on the NHS, probably until you are sooo bad you need admission to hospital. I feel I would never have seen one unless I paid myself. Maybe I was just unlucky and some others here have had a different experience?

Anyway I found a good guy I see every 3 months and he tells my GP what to do. Best money I ever spent. 

• Posted

Hi David , yes I'm thinking that maybe what I end up doing as I deserve a better life !! 30plus yrs of knowing it's hard being me has taken its toll but just as depression cripples me when it happens I refuse to be defined by it !! Thanks for advise 
  • Posted

Lynne

Following traumatic events, I was put on antidepressants and have chopped and changed over 13 years. 

I got counselling but was never referred to a psychiatrist and thought I should have been to get to the root of the problem.  Pills only masque the problems, in my opinion, and really didn't help me so I have now come off them to see how i am.

I start CBT in June and, hopefully, that will help. I'm afraid, if you ar in UK, that not enough money is ploughed in to mental health care and I think pills are an easy option.

I hope you get the healp you need.

• Posted

Hi, I now feel perhaps I have been fortunate as ha ind done cbt approx 7yrs ago although excruciating I did learn to change some of my behaviour patterns and I have also practised mindfulness meditation in last 2yrs, however you have to be really strong to keep fighting at a time when u r at yr most vulnerable!!! I really wish u luck 
    • Posted

Oh, it's extremely difficult, ideed.  It's an ever ending struggle. I've survived a lot so I guess I will keep going.  One day at a time.

When I was younger, I had endometriosis, ovarian cysts etc. and all that played with my hormones/emotions.  We all know our own bodies and have a good idea what causes a lot.

A lot of good has been said, on differeent forums, about Omega 3 oils, so have just bought the tablets.

• Posted

Just got back from gp who once again said i do not fit the criteria for a psychiatric assessment ,when i said in a previous job we held monthly multi-disaplinary meetings for newly diagnosed cancer patients so that a plan of care involving the patient  could be discussed and that i felt this should be an option for me as i have a raft of history involving gp,counsellors,occupational health that could pull it all together and possibly move me forward he laughed and said good luck with that !!!! WATCH this space

• Posted

Sorry for your news.  What an idiot.  First, I'll use humor, with just a tiny splash of seriuosness... perhaps, next time you see your GP, you should take in a flask of your own urine (or urine/faeces - your choice), pour it over your head, then begin banging your head against a wall.  "Do you think I need an assessment now, doctor?!"

Seriously, though, I managed to skip my GP entirely.  I referred myself to our secondary care mental health services and they've assessed me, referred me to courses, and now I'm getting some 1-2-1 theray with a psychologist.  I realise services differ by region, but it might be worth looking into this approach.  

• Posted

Hi , i have my sense of humour today and your reply made me lol ha ha Anyway I think i may have made a breakthrough as I was due to see occupational health doctor next week.Phone rings this am and receptionist says due to personal probs can't see dr til 13th May !!!! Well, without going into too much detail of which i behaved in a way unbecoming of my usual demeanour i am seeing psycholgist on Tues !!!! You know the really sad thing is a) Through my work,practice as a nurse and depression i really am a force to be reckoned with when i am on one.b) I can't bare inequality and i know there are so many people out there without the strenght to keep fighting a system that is hell bent on crisis management all the time and not preventative measures like multidisaplinary working.Finally, i am going away with some special friends today who will save me from drowning in the hot-tub !!!! I think ,Have a decent w/e

• Posted

Hi, I am sorry that you appear to have repeat bouts of depression. If between bouts you are are able to live normally, why do you need to see a psychiatrist?

Depression alone, whatever the cause is treated through medication and CBT / counselling, which it sounds as though you are getting. One of the few possible exceptions might include those relating to hormonal changes.....perhaps you should be talking to an endocrinologist?

The suggestion by Nayanpj that you should lie and pretend to be suicidal is both sad and a clear lack of respect to those of us who have severe and enduring Mental illnesses which give us access to psychiatrists.

I can assure you that trying to live with constant suicidal feelings, isnt easy. Trying not to commit suicide is a constant fight, and not something I would recommend. Psychiatrists diagnose and recommend medication, stuff that has a tendancy to either make you feel zombie like or has other delightful side effects that lead to additional medication to treat the side effects of the original treatment!

The other very obvious exception is linked to the fact that if you lie, you will not receive the correct treatment!

Hopefully your depression won't be too severe or last too long, and you have my sympathies. 

exception to this

• Posted

Frankly, I find your comments rude, ill-thought-through, and insulting.

What's sad, is that the NHS focuses on suicidal patients at the expense of other people who suffer terribly.  Place an 'X' in that box, "I do not get suicidal thoughts", and you can be immediately put on a different treatment pathway to someone who ticked the box.  Your depression can be "downgraded".

What's sad, is that there are many things worse than death, but suicidal patients are treated as a priority because suicides are an easy measure to collect and report to the DoH.  Reduced suicides means the NHS is doing a great job, yes?  No!  Codswallop.  

All depression should be treated seriously, and if that involves telling a "white lie", so be it.  People should not be told, "Sorry, you're not depressed enough," then get sent home with some happy pills by their GP after a ten minute chat.

I have demonstrated no lack of respect to "those of [you] who have severe and enduring mental illnesses".  None whatsoever.  To suggest so, without knowing anything about me, is judgemental, condescending, rude and insulting.  

I have suffered from mental health issues for most of my life!  I am senior manager within the NHS.  I know the rotten truth about many treatment pathways within the NHS.

My advice was frank, honest, and given to the best of my knowledge and personal experience.  Ticking that "suicidal" box opens doors and gets you treatments.  It's a sad fact, but it's true.  People should know.  If the system intends to play you, you should be able to play the system.

To suggest, Sally, that ticking that box will result in a psychiatrist prescribing drugs that turn you into "zombie" is naïve and factually incorrect.  You will, once you see a psychiatrist, be given treatment or medication appropriate to your condition.  Psychologists are not children, Sally, they are not so easily fooled!  But once a "white lie" gets you access to their advice, they can refer you to services and prescribe more appropriately than a GP or a low-level, inexperienced therapist/mental health advisor.

I have written this reply not to argue with you, but to ensure that any people suffering from depression that read this discussion understand that in many situations, a "white lie" can get you access to more help, rather than being forgotten until you get so bad you actually DO become suicidal.

Which is what could happen if people follow your wonderful advice, Sally.  

• Posted

I  asked my gp to consider that my depression relates very closely to my hormones and got short shrift yes'day. Nathan has hit it spot on in my opinion "it is how it is" I have never felt suicidal but 30 plus of constant battling a feeling that everyday is harder for people with depression than for people without is a fact and debilitating and possibly not fitting into a criteria that might help me now as a number of health professionals  have asked me if I think I could be bipolar says it all really. crisis management is what the nhs is about , lacks the vision to look at more preventative measures.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.