I am a 65 year old female who is scheduled for surgery at the end of the year.

Posted , 5 users are following.

My curve is approximately 90 degrees. I have begun to have worsening lower back pain in addition to having thoracic and cervical pain. I realize no can make the decision but me,  I would like to hear about other people’s experiences that have had the surgery and from others who have not.

Thanks, Lenore 

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I had my upper spine fused in childhood. That surgery made a lot of sense because it stopped the progression. At age 45, they wanted to do another surgery due to my tailbone developing a compensatory curve. At that age, it was all about the pain that was crippling me and not allowing me to do daily activities.

Instead, I began practicing Bikram Yoga, which is healing yoga practiced in a hot, humid room. It took care of my pain within one week, and now, 5 years later, I am virtually pain-free as long as I practice at least 1-2 times per week.

• Posted

I had the op when i was 13 for scoliosis and i am now 17 and it was the best choice i have made, i am completely normal now i have a job and am studying to do biology. The surgery was tough but i was out of the hospital after a week and back to school within 4 weeks, the biggest tip i have is just to stay positive, try and get up walking and moving about and try to stay fit.

If you have any questions I'm happy to help answer them, emily x

• Posted

I had the op when i was 13 for scoliosis and i am now 17 and it was the best choice i have made, i am completely normal now i have a job and am studying to do biology. The surgery was tough but i was out of the hospital after a week and back to school within 4 weeks, the biggest tip i have is just to stay positive, try and get up walking and moving about and try to stay fit.

If you have any questions I'm happy to help answer them, emily x

• Posted

I'm glad u are getting surgery done on yours because I'm left it the dark and not knowing what i can do for my kind and I'm not able to lay down for a MRI anymore and 5 surgeon's said nothing can be done! I'm 54 and only got kyphoscoliosis around 7 year's ago and it's pretty bad and pressing on the lung's yet I can't get help. So i pray you will get the surgery you need and please keep me posted on ur results 😊

• Posted

Hi, I was as born with scoliosis, and operations from the age of one year and has my spare rib grafted onto my curved to prevent the curve increasing. It is inky the past few years that I have started to suffer a bit with  hip pain and upper/lower back pain.  My GP referred me to a local specials but I was not happy with the outcome and so I asked for s referral to the Royal National Orthopeadic Hopsital based at Stanmore in Middlesex. They are the experts and are doing wonders for me. You have to fight your corner because no-one else is going to do it. Stay strong, see your GP and get referred up to the RNOH. Mr Hanny Anwar is one of the senior consultants there and you can read about him on their website, Good Luck. 
  • Posted

Hello lender, I would love to know what health authority you are under who are going to give you surgery. You are very lucky to be offered it. I am 62 and suffering the same as you and feel surgery is the best for me, but gave yo convince my consultant. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.