I am a mess

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. I have been diagnosed with prolapse uterus and was shocked when the doctor told me I needed a hysterectomy. I thought it was a cyst causing me pain during sex however he took one look at my uterus and said it's about halfway down from where it should be and that I need to have it removed. I'm hoping this is the reason why I have a difficult time when I pee and also a hard time having a BM. When I was at the doctors I was so shocked when he told me I needed a hysterectomy that I didn't ask any questions. I have my preop visit on August 31 and plan on asking questions that will probably fly out of my head the moment he's in front of me. Sex is very painful but my husband is wonderful and is doing everything he can to make sex enjoyable for me. I feel bad because he has to adjust how he makes love to me and sometimes I feel like it's not worth the effort because it's harder for me and for him to achieve orgasm. I am also tense because if he goes into for causes intense pain. All this extra pressure makes it harder for me to relax while we have sex and I really hope the surgery fixes my issues. For anyone that's already had the surgery I would really love some feedback. I have done a lot of searching on the web for some of these answers, just not very satisfied with what's out there.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

There is a hysterectomy forum lisa where you'll probably get more answers. I've had a hysterectomy many years ago but not because it had prolapsed. There are things to consider though for instance are you having a total hysterectomy (removal of the cervix as well) or a partial? What about your ovaries, was that mentioned. Depending on your age you may need to consider menopausal symptoms even if you keep your ovaries, women don't always realise that Mother Nature realises you have no use for your womb anymore so the female hormones can reduce quite quickly. You need to do some research.

• Posted

I'm just having my uterus removed and I've done research already. thanks so much for your help!

• Posted

What about your cervix because that can affect sex? I think you'll find after the hysterectomy the problems with your bowel and bladder will improve. 

• Posted

Hi Lisa I had similar problems and got surgery in May this year however I got a sacrospinous hysteropexy which meant I got my womb/uterus/cervix (not sure which one it is) fixed to the muscle as the base of my spine in my right buttock which meant I didn't need a hysterectomy maybe you could google it and ask your doctor if this is a possibility for you?

• Posted

Hi Liz,

I know that this is an old post but I was wondering how you are doing after your sacrospinous hysteropexy. I just had mine 5 days ago (plus rectocele and perineoplasty) and I'm still on painkillers with strong right buttock pain. Did you also experience this? Any tips for the recovery? Many thanks...

• Posted

I had a hysterectomy 20 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.,

I had a prolapse as did my mother, she didn't go to Drs until it was literally outside.. We had our operations together! Mum being 70 and me 40!

Having said that I have recently had to have another op to help with prolapse of the bowel and urthea, also they meshed my pelvic floor, apparently when they perform hysterectomies now they support the other organs better than when mum and I had the op!

I had my overies left to help with the menopause. Mums had dried up anyway!

Hope this helps

• Posted

There is a website called hyster sisters that you may find helpful.   There are lots of people in exactly your situation and lots of information including, I think, articles with lists of questions you can ask your doctor.  Lots of people's stories, too, and forum postseason support.  I found it when I was looking for resources but I didn't find it very helpful for me as I didn't have a uterine prolapse so a hysterectomy was never suggested.

i think it is a US site so the hysterectomy forum here may be most helpful for NHS questions, but it may be a nice complementary resource.

Best of luck to you in your journey.

• Posted

I have a prolapse uterus also and surgery is next Wednesday. I will be having a hysterectomy. However keeping my ovaries. It was an easy decsion as I will not be having anymore children. I am 49. My uterus has been causing me so many issues I will be glad to see the back of it. At times it is hanging at the entrance to the vagina. its horrible. At first I was a little sad about the thought of losing it, as I looked at as where my children grew and it was important, ( silly maybe ). However after a few days and the constant feeling of something falling out of me helped me to get over those feeling pretty quick. I am reading so much about recovery from hysterectomy and at times it scares me, it seems different to everyone. So who knows where I will fall. I am lucky I dont work and live only with my adult son. So hopefully resting etc will be no drama. I have my pre-admission appointment tomorrow and will ask my final questions. But the surgeon was pretty good with explanations the last time we spoke. I will let you know how things go if you like.  
    • Posted

Hi my surgery is tomorrow as well and I am in a better place about it now got some questions answered and talked more to the doctor and with the support of my family especially my husband I am ready to have it done and clear up some issues that of been bothering me for a while. I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery I don't expect any problems from mine and I'll keep you posted too if you would like to know.

• Posted

Good luck jillian for tomorrow. Hope everything goes well and keep in touch with us xx
    • Posted

Good luck to you as well lisadiddle. Keep in touch with us xx
  • Posted

Hi everyone I just wanted to update you my surgery was on September 7 I could immediately tell a difference in my bladder function and once my body finally let me have a bowel movement that is so much better as well The pain has been severe in the Oxy prescribed was just too strong and made me feel weird and way too groggy. Recovery is more difficult than I anticipated the sites from the da Vinci robot ache almost constantly but overall I am satisfied I know that eventually The pain will go away. My husband and I are adjusting to accommodate no vaginal penetration and I am counting down the next five weeks till I am cleared for regular sex! I hear so much negative when I did my research but I just don't think that people take into account that removing things from your body is going to make things a little bit different. So far I've had a real good experience my biggest complaint right now is the constant dull throb if pain. Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.