I am a teen and I have symptoms of anxiety - what should I do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, it started about two year ago when I started choking up every time the teacher would ask me a question in school and I would keep forcing myself to swallow mid sentence for no reason. I didn't really think anything of it because it was the only symptom and thankfully no one ever noticed it really even though I still felt quite embarassed but then it started to get worse in recent months and I used to get anxious that I was going to be asked something I didn't know or wasn't prepared to answer and I still get this now. Last year I started worrying about small health symptoms which I was googling and stupidly coming to the conclusion that it could be cancer or something serious and this is when I started getting muscle twitching, usually at times of stress but it has continued over the last year. It usually happens in my fingers and they just randomly twitch but it jumps to different muscle groups and this in turn got me worried that it could be something serious. I went to the GP a few months ago for the twitching and they referred me to a pediatrician but it didn't really get anywhere because as always they send you for more and more blood tests for things it probably isn't which justs wastes so much time. The thing was that I didn't really want to mention the possibility of anxiety as I felt uncomfortable with my mum in the room and to be honest I probably would feel the same if I was on my own. This muscle twitching hasnt been getting worse, it is just there and is displaying no other serious symtoms like paralysis so I looked up and found that it could be benign fasiculation syndrome which can be caused by stress and anxiety. Anyway, I still get it every day but the most recent symtom I have been getting is waking up a few times in the night every day for no apparent reason which never used to happen. I am getting around 8-10 hours sleep still, but waking up in the night is still taking its toll on me - I am now regularly tired in the day time, so much so that my eyes feel like they want to close and I usually end up falling asleep while trying to revise or while at the computer which is obviously not good because it is affecting me studying. I would also say that this is making me more aggressive and agitated towards my family. I have reverted to drinking energy drinks and coffee which are high in caffeine to keep me awake. If I go to the GP, what should I start with? How do I explain this? What will they say to me? How will they deal with it? I dont want my family knowing about these problems even though that would probably benefit me...I would rather not go to the doctor than tell my family why I want to make an appointment. What would the doctor do to help me with this issue? What should I do?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

It seems like yoga and meditation can be the best solution for you. Try to find a yoga 7 meditation center near you and start as quickly as possible. Otherwise, numerous articles and videos are available over the internet. Just try for one month with proper dedication and i am sure, you will see some positive result.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.