I am able to walk in cam boots but it hurts, any suggestions??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Since last Thursday I was told by doctor I can walk in my cam boots (broke both ankles, had surgery on 1 side, in 2 cam boots).  I have been walking in them and they are so uncomfortable to walk in, the 1st day I was so excited to walk in them, I felt a new sense of freedom, but now they are hurting my feet, mostly my soles under the front below my toes area, but overall my feet hurt and I don't want to walk much in these boots, also when standing still, that is the worst pain.  It is not ankle type pain and I think unrelated to my broken ankles.  I put some gel soles and it helped only minorly.  Is anyone else having this problem, does walking in the boots get better?  He wants to see me in 1 month, so 1 month walking like this, then he said I can go in my shoes.  I tried my shoes at home just to go to the bathroom and no pain at all, but it does feel "wierd" to walk in my shoes.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My goodness, god bless you, both ankles.. jeeezzz. Honestly after my 6 weeks he said to walk in boot for a week and then without after. It sound like the boot is pitching your weight forward onto your soles

putting to much weight and pressure.

I ditched the boot around the house and just used crutches, wore 2 big thick socks and began to just toe touch lightly. I follow doctors orders, but when I am not comfortable I adjust,

Do you feel safe and confortable enough to go bootless around house?

• Posted

I do feel comfortable going bootless around the house (ok in sneakers, I don't feel comfortable barefoot, never did really), but I am back at work and am up/down a lot, I kind of want to go into my regular shoes at work also, but it is still a little over 3 weeks before I go back to see doctor.  On Monday it will be 8 weeks from surgery and 10 weeks on other side.  I would rather follow his instructions but was wondering what other peoples experience is like walking in the boots.  I don't think I am going to make it for another 3 weeks walking in these boots.

• Posted

Hi JLady,

Glad to hear you are back on your feet.

Your discomfort walking in the CAM boot is probably not extraordinary. However, one month to be full weight bearing yet still in the boot sounds on the other hand a little unusual based on patient accounts in this forum. Only your doctor knows why he ordered you in boot for a whole month. Why not ask him why, and ask if you can at least walk in other shoes at times when the boot is most uncomfortable?

Don't overlook the little things that could make a difference in your comfort, like properly fitting your foot in the boot and applying an appropriate amount of pressure from air pillows in the boot. There are really thick, luxurious, long (half-way up the calf) socks available for moonboot wear. I used them in my boot and it made a difference in my comfort.

Your pain in sole of foot may go away with more walking and exercise. If it doesn't you might investigate other possible complications that may have resulted from your injury, such as fascitis plantar. What many ankle patients don't realize is that ankle/fracture injuries can in some cases cause soft injury damage (nerves, muscles, tendons, ligament, joint capsules-- all the non-bone squishy stuff) and be a major source of pain and movement restriction long after the bones have knitted back together.

That's why it is so important to begin ankle rehab exercises immediately when you are cleared to by your health practitioner. Especially ligament, tendons, and muscles need to be strengthened and stabilized so your transition to a post-injury normal life of walking and standing goes off without serious restriction, swelling, or pain.  Proper rehab now (and some people may need to do it for a long time afterwards) is so important to forestall the chance that a chronic ankle problem might occur later, even years later in life.

• Posted

Come to think of it, I have always had this foot pain before this accident, it is just magnified now due to the hardness and pressure of the boots.  I also have RA, which is probably a factor.  My doctor has never mentioned PT which I find strange, maybe he still will??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.