I am about to start tapering ADs and I am extremely nervous

Posted , 3 users are following.

After 6 years on Citalopram, I switched to Efexor XR and been taking that for 2 years.  I have tried and tried to come off them both in the past but unsuccessfully.  I thought I was relapsing into depression 100 worse than before I started taking them.  I have been doing some research on the net and now know I need to taper.  I am on 225mg Efexor XR per day, and I want to be free of it.  I am going to start tapering as per advised method but I am very nervous.  The main symptons I get are: I am teary, get unbearable brain zaps, and it feels like a relapse of depression, as I go a bit crazy and find I cant cope with every day life.  Last time I tried to come off them, i was on 150mg effexor XR and reduced to 112.5mg 3 days a week, and 150mg for the remaining 4 days.  I felt I was relapsing into a terrible depression and so I increased up to 225mg per day and have been taking this for a year now.  Please can someone tell me that tapering will be easier to go through than what I have done in the past?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have found that meds drs put us on for depression and PTSD which I have PTSD from being sexually abused as a child. They make us worse. Please taper off slowly it will get better. Effexor is the devil. I tapered off of it and thought I would die of being sick. I hope it gets easier for you.
    • Posted

Sounds like you have had an awful time in the past.

Thanks for your support

• Posted

what i did, was gradula taper of 75mg/week down to 75.5mg, then combined with 20mg prozac for a week, stop the ven altogether then the prozac after another week, and it seemed to work well. Came off it another time without the prozac and wasreally feeling physically ill for a week after it.

Why are you coming off?

• Posted

Thanks for your advice, i have read some other reports about combining it wth prozac to come off ven.

I am coming off it because my mood is very flat, and I dont seem to care about anything.  I read this refers to 'deactivation' which is an effect of ADs.  Also it affects my libido (I am married)

• Posted

That's why i came off them also. How are you feeling now? Are you going to go on another?
    • Posted

I haven't started tapering yet, I need to go to docs and get some 37.5's so I can spilit them up.  

Its so good to hear that you have had success coming off them

I am not sure about prozac - i have been on it in the past and had they made me do crazy things.... so I will see how I am when I start tapering

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.