I am adding my comments as my dad first wrote for me on ...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am adding my comments as my dad first wrote for me on no. 42. As you saw, it was an emergency operation although I wasnt happy with my doctor as he just seemed to be not interested and just wanted to give me painkillers etc. Luckily he did refer me for physio which i attended on the 12/01/06 after explaining everything to him.

He said there was no way he could do anything until i had a mri which he arranged straightaway that day. the following day recieved a phonecall, had to go straight to hospital & was then told of the prolapsed disc. was unable to go home as it had prolapsed into my spinal cord. I was transferred by ambulance following morning to Oldchurch hospital & operated on that day, was very frightened as when told of the pros & cons seemed to me there was more against than fore, but i had no choice as I would have been paralysed & i have 3 small children & am a single parent.

I was very lucky to be caught in time as my bladder felt as though it was weakening. the surgeon was surprised i wasnt already incontinent. straight after the operation i was uncomfortable but not in the excrutiating pain i had been for the past 6 wks. after about 2 wks i was able to walk with no pain & gradually increased this over a period of time.

I was very lucky to have such a wonderful family especially my mum who stayed & helped me and my children for the 3 months recovery period. I saw my surgeon on the 19/04/06 & he said obviously to be aware of how to pick things up & my back will never be the same again & the numbness i have in my buttocks may never go due to damage to the nerve endings, but in my opinion anyone deciding on whether to have operation i would say have it, in my case i had no choice & glad now that i didnt, but i know there is no way you can live with that pain, day in day out, & i can once again enjoy my life with my children. i am still careful not to pick heavy objects and aware how to bend properly but to feel so well again is lovely.

[i:14f0e3b678]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:14f0e3b678]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think people should explore and investigate all possible non-invasive treatment before considering surgery. In some severe cases, surgery is the right choice. In other, may be some conservative treatments or non-invasive treatments are preferred. IDD Therapy seems to be the right treatment now for prolapsed disc because it safe, has great success rate and long lasting effect. It's worth to have a look at www.londonbackclinic.com to see what they can do.

[i:39620abf4b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:39620abf4b]

• Posted

I dont think you have read my story properly as you would have seen I had no choice as I was rushed into hospital day after mri & was unable to get off the bed due to disc going into spinal cord which any movement would have left me paralysed & incontinent for the rest of my life, I was transferred by ambulance on a spinal board to a different hospital and on arrival had immediate surgery, i therefore had no choice in looking into any other possibilities, I was therefore stating that anyone in the same situation as mine to do the same, if people are able to look into different options then fine i was obviously not as lucky as you as had no options!!!

[i:ca0e37f907]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ca0e37f907]

• Posted

Alain

I have seen your feedback on a couple of threads and can only assume you have never been where we have or you are indeed advertising IDD???

Leigh - Glad your well how amazing does it feel to just do normal things? Take care and should you never have to go through it again.

[i:6cd9a0a3da]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6cd9a0a3da]

• Posted

Hi Lorraine thanks for your comments my views exactly. It is lovely to feel back to normal & do things that we usually take for granted i have never experienced so much pain before & hope never to again, am also glad you are now well, Take care.

[i:5b605dd9c6]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:5b605dd9c6]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.