I am afraid of having rabies

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am an 18 year old student. I am in the middle of my school leaving exams.  About 2 weeks ago, our dog (he is vaccinated from rabies, 6 months old) had gone through Parvovirus, although he is fine now. At that time I have looked through a lot of different possibilities for his condition (at that time we didn't know it yet). And being me, I stopped at rabies. I went trough the trouble of looking at all the sympoms for dogs and humans.

After he got a little better, I was watching our dog closely for any weird rabies-like behaviour. It was at that time he bit me (didn't pierce the skin).

A week ago, I had my first 'panic attack', as I started having nausea and extensive salivation (which are the symptoms of rabies).

?I calmed down, tried to think rationally about the situation, and It seemed logical to me that I was just nervous about the upcoming exam. I also started having dizziness and a feel as if something is not right.

?A few days later, I started feeling sore in my throat, and it almost felt as if I had trouble swalowing my saliva (guess what that is - one of the rabies symptoms). Although at that point in time, my mouth was dry as a desert. I also had a blocked nose and I hoped that it was the cause for this. At that point my 2nd panic started. Could'nt think of anything other than rabies. Again, I calmed down.

?Today I stared feeling a lump in my throat, and felt discomfort in my jaw, felt as it I was keeping in lower than usual (again, one of the rabies symptoms, what a surprise). I was going mental. Now, (after 2 hours or so) my jaw is feeling fine now, but I have almost constant dizziness and a lump in my throat, as well as low appetite, nausea and salivation when I do eat too much.

?I cannot concentrate when preparing for the exams (because of the panic and fear), I get even more nervous when I am not doing so. HELP

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to mention, I get goosebumps randomly.
  • Posted

you don't have rabies......you would have had a severe reaction  very quickly; relax, you are obsessing over it ...relax,....you are ok.

• Posted

Hi Lucas, your just getting anxious that's all, you don't have rabies I'll guarantee you that, if your unable to let it go take a trip to your GP who will put your mind at ease. Neil 

• Posted

Omg I literally have been going through the same exact thing as you since May.20th. Everyone is telling me I'm fine but it's like I have a hard time believing them. I have mentally stressed myself out. How are you doing now ?

• Posted

Funny, how easy it is to explain the logical stuff to someone other than yourself.

?Anyway, do not worry about it. I am guessing at this point (if it is similar to my case), you are starting to worry about any other illnesses that you could have. You don't. This is anxiety. EVERYTHING IS FINE.

?I had a some very good advice given to me by the way:

Do NOT Google symptoms. That is pretty much how I got my problem.

?Do not try and fight the panic attacks. It is difficult, yeah, but just think of them as a very bad attempt from your brain to protect you.

• Posted

That is my exact problem, I GOOGLE everything and take what people say out of context. I guess I have to come to terms with myself and believe what I'm telling myself

• Posted

if it's not too personal, what sypmtoms did you get? And how quickly did they show up?

• Posted

No it's not personal. I'm

Glad I have someone who I can talk to about this...Everything I'm having is linked to my anxiety the doctors says. I've seen multiple doctors for this and they all say the same thing. I have little muscle twitches that are not visible to the naked eye but I feel them and I have some

Congestion in my nose and I feel like I have to keep cleaning my throat even if there's nothing in it. But I haven't had a fever or anything like that and my vitals are fine. One doctor even gave me some blood work and everything was in normal range, no signs of infection. The doctor gave me some blood work to complet to just give some reassurance that it's my anxiety verses something being wrong. I'm suppose to go back to see the doctor today cause he wants to see how I'm doing since I was having so much anxiety. How about you , how r u feeling ? Like all the doctors I've seen say I would've shown major symptoms by now and would be getting worse Day by day but it's like I go online and I see different. I have on going anxiety so I'm afraid their just trying to push how I'm feeling on my anxiety verses the actual issue. But I should believe them.

• Posted

I am doing well, I think. Because I was parainoid about my jaw, I think I've been keeping it very tight and couldn't let my mind off of it. Now I think there's something wrong with my jaw again.

?I need to stop thinking about this, so do you. I almost had a panic just thinking what to answer to you just now.

• Posted

There ised to be a boy  in here who had this same fear. 

Its an intrusive thought a obssessive  thought. Happens to be rabies but it will change uo over time anyway 

you have  bad anxiety with ocd and you have probably had intrusive thoughts for a long time, usually panic attacks pop in with all this. 

It all needs outside guidance. If you could have fixed this you would have.a therapist will know how to help you. Ocd is a hard one to reign in, it can manifest basically anything the mind can conjiur up.

maybe it is all worse because you are stressed with exams. Makes sense. Maybe there is a way you can bargain with yourself lf to allow you to study and proprly prepare and take these exams and then go ahead and see your gp and get a therapist. 

Rabies is just the thought  for now. It isnt at all whats behind this,

• Edited

I experienced exactly as yours. I'm thinking if I'm just having an anxiety . I googled the symptoms of rabies and that includes anxiety. I got nervous most of the time thinking i might die bcz of rabies. I got bitten by my friend's cat 2 months ago but the cat is still healthy. i already injected rabies vaccine 6 years ago and I'm afraid to get injected again. I can't sleep properly, I'm afraid if maybe i might not wake up. idk what to do. (I'm having difficulty in English i hope you'll understand)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.