I am back after a long time in hospital - LS Op & Hysterectomy

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All,

Where to start?  Shew, it has been a roller coaster ride. Sorry I am only writing this now but I had my first op (for the LS), then got an infection in my arm (cellulitis) and had to go to the ER and then I had my hysterectomy. I spent 11 nights in hospital which was rather unexpected and hectic for my husband and two small boys (and two new puppies) but we all survived it and now I am finally getting up and about!!! 

So the LS operation went very well (expect for the unfortunate cellulitis I got from the IV).  It was a hour long operation. It was moderately sore but more swollen and uncomfortable afterwards.  It was also black and blue from bruising and lots of little pin marks from the needle which did sting every time I wen to the loo for the first couple of days. My stomach was quite sore from the fat being taken out.  It did settle quite quickly and since the operation I have not had even one itch!!! I am not sure if that is phsycological or because of the op because results are only really going to be seen in three months time when the new 'fat stem cell like' cells and blood plasma have taken over from the LS.

Anyway, my hysterectomy also went well, it was a 4 hour operation as my endometreosis had glued my uterus to my colon with scar tissue.  I had it laproscopically done so that minimised the recovery time. I have 6 lap 'holes' in my abdomen but I still think it is better than the big cut at the bottom of your abdomen. It took me a few days in hospital to recover and now I am home for a bit.

It really is the best thing I could have done for myself, I have got my two beautiful boys and wasn't going to have any more so between the no LS pain/itching/scratching/etc and the hyst. I really do feel like a different person.

My bowels aren't working that well yet and only once everything has settled down nicely will we be able to see if going to the loo for a no. 2 and sex is more comfortable.  They had to leave scar tissue behind because it was right long my colon and they (gynae) did not feel comfotable doing it so I might have to go to a gastroenterologist in a few months time to have another laprosscope to get rid of the rest of the scar tissue or as much as possible.

I will keep you posted!!! smile

Love Leah xXx

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

So happy to hear that you are on the road to recovery.  A lot to go through...but sounds like it has been successful. Take good care of yourself.
  • Posted

Leah,

Good to hear that everything went well for you.  As far as LS is concerned what exactly did they have to do to clear it?

• Posted

Wow Leah you have been through a lot. You have a great attitude. Keep us posted and all the best!
  • Posted

Wow. I have been thinking of you. So happy to hear that things are going well now. I am fully aware that things can pop up along the way that are unexpected and cause us to worry. Thankfully you are home now ith your family and you will recuperate soon.

Thanks for the update. Hugs.

• Posted

Leah...Thanks for keeping us informed about the stem cell treatment.  I would love to know more when you are up to it.  I have been considering it for a year or so...but not sure if I am a good candidate.  Did you go to Genoa?  
  • Posted

I had it done where I live in Cape Town, South Africa (private hospital & doctors). In an earlier post I go into detail about the operation. It isn't really known why it works but it does. I was the 7th patient in my province (Western Cape) to have this operation. The 1st one was 3 1/2 years ago. Some patients come back after 6 months and some after 2 years to have the operation repeated to continue the battle against LS or irradicate it completely.

Hope that helps... xoxo

• Posted

Thanks Leah.  There is a Dr. Carbone in Genoa Italy who has done many stem cell ops with success.  I didn't realize they were also doing it in South Africa.  Good for you.
  • Posted

Gosh you are brave!! ..With regards to using the loo for a no.2!! get some prune juice, take it every day, this should loosen things up a lot, as really you dont want to be straining to use the bathroom when your undercarriage is already sore!
  • Posted

Hi Leah,  Well done you for being so upbeat despite going through the wringer.  I have been thinking about you too.  I hope this all proves a success for you.  I will be talking to my doctor about this treatment.  I hope it is not long before patients the UK can be offered this treatment.  Keep up the optimistic approach to everything.  You are amazing going through all this in one go.  Good luck with the scar tissue removal. 
  • Posted

Happy to read that all went well and that you feel so much better.  Sounds like there are a lot better methods than when I had this hysterectomy and endometriosis stuff done.  And that you are freed from itch and discomfort from LS.  Keep in touch to let us know how things evolve further.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.