I am being denied Life cover Insurance Policy, is this legal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I live in South Africa and have known about my Bronchiectasis since 2010. In 2014 i applied for a life cover insurance policy; mentioning my condition in the application. A policy was issued in my name (i am in possession of the hard copy from the insurer). I was requested to undertake a lung function test which i did. It is after the evaluation of the results that the insurer now states that the results show that i suffer from a mild restrictive ventilator deffect and that there is also a possibility of a superimposed early obstructive pulmonary impairment.....which i think all sums up to the long effects of bronchiectasis.

I intend taking legal actions against the insurer but i cannot afford a lawyer. I am asking for advice, guidance and more info on how best i can handle this.

Thanx

Tsitsi

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think you will find that an insurance company is under no obligation to insure you. If they consider that you are too risky to insure they will simply withdraw any offer previously made and inform you of their decicion. Insurance companies are not there to insure at any cost, on the contrary they are big money making machines and control assets that would blow your mind. There is no profit in it for them so they will not inure you. As far as I am aware there is no law, nor can there be, to force them insure you.

PS this is my opinion !

Owen

• Posted

I feel for you,but i think iamowen2 is right when saying there is no obligation by insurers to accept you ,i live in England,and ive heard that some insurers here dont ask medical questions,but do ask if you smoke or not,....maybe it might be worth shopping around , you might be lucky, good luck..
  • Posted

Have they refused to insure you? Probably they may insure at a higher premium or not cover for existing conditions.What is mild restrictive ventilater effect? That sounds like another term for asthma! Unfortunatelly bronchiectases is a cause of COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) . I have had bronchiectasis since I was 10 after measles?.I am now 64.
  • Posted

Thank you Owen, Denise and Charles for your responses. Although they are not in my favour, guess its the truth. In my stupid opinion i believed this is a violation of human rights. Thank you i will have to learn to live with it.

Cheers

Tsitsi

• Posted

You may be able to find some insurance company that specialse in insuring people with health issues, although they may be expensive, they do offer cover

Owen

• Posted

Thanx Owen, will look into it.

Tsitsi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.